Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users forks....HELP!!! someone anyone? Post 49193 by richardspence2 on Saturday 27th of March 2004 04:17:38 PM
Old 03-27-2004
Thanks for the input. Actually, the code is more Kernighan & Ritchie as opposed to ANSI C as K&R is the book am using as my guide along with Unix Systems Programming SVR 4.

I'm yet to implement the further instructions you've given me as am not at a terminal just now. So, whenever I get that done, I'll let you know what I've formulated.

By the way, are you familiar with the Java environment? I have a question on graphics I want to ask you.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

forks, ipc, fifos, update issues...

Hi, so I've got this program("main") that fork executes another ("user"). These programs communicate through fifos. One communication is a spawn call, where user passes an executable, main forks and executes it. So, I'm keeping track of all my processes using a task table. After the fork (for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funktar
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Question on forks and pipes

I am trying to figure out why when i have the following code int main( { printf("0\n"); fork(); printf("1\n"); exit(0);} and type in the shell a.out | cat the output of this program is 0 1 0 1 instead of 0 1 1 does anyone know? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phantom12345
3 Replies

3. Programming

multiple forks and printf question

Hello *NIX gurus, I have a slight perplexing problem with multiple forks giving different results... Here is the deal. From what I undestand, a fork() call starts executing from the next instruction that follows the fork() call. That means it inherits the PC counter register value of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navigator
4 Replies

4. Programming

read from file using forks

i'm tring to make 2 processes each read from the same file but only one of them read the file. FILE * fileptr1; fileptr1 = fopen("file1.txt","rt"); pid2=fork(); while(1) { fscanf(fileptr1,"%s",temp1); if(feof(fileptr1)==0) { printf("%i",getpid()); //id of current process ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddx08
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shells, forks, subprocesses... oh my

all, i've been reading to try and get an abstract idea of the process effeciency of commands , sed, bash, perl, awk, find, grep, etc which processes will spawn?, fork?, launch subshell?, etc and under what conditions? how do you know which commands have the faster and better stdio... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
jconsole(1)						      General Commands Manual						       jconsole(1)

NAME
jconsole - J2SE Monitoring and Management Console SYNOPSIS
jconsole [ options ] [ pid | [ host:port ... ] ] PARAMETERS
pid Process ID of a Java VM that was started with -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote option on the same machine. See JMX Monitoring and Management for details at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html. host:port Host name on which the Java VM is running and the port number through which the Java VM's JMX Connector is published. See JMX Monitoring and Management for details at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html. DESCRIPTION
The jconsole command launches a graphical console tool that enables you to monitor and manage Java applications and virtual machines on a local or remote machine. NOTE- This tool is experimental and may not be available in future versions of the JDK. OPTIONS
-interval=n Set the update interval to n seconds (default is 4 seconds) -notile Do not tile windows initially (for two or more connections) -version Output version information abd exit. -help Output help message and exit. SEE ALSO
Monitoring and Management for Java Platform at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/index.html 06 Feb 2004 jconsole(1)