Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mail format problems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mail format problems Post 48624 by Perderabo on Thursday 11th of March 2004 04:41:09 PM
Old 03-11-2004
The issue is that HP-UX does not use ascii by default for mail. So you need to feed a line like:
set charset=us-ascii
to mailx in one of those start up files. If this is not done, a non-ascii mail message goes out. And microsoft user agents freak out and deliver it as an attachment.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems sending Mail

Hello everybody I already read all the posts about "how to send email" but i dont find the solution, i need to send a mail via commands. Into the mail i need to attach a file.txt how can i do that? Thanx. Lestat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
2 Replies

2. Solaris

mail problems - how to send mail on solaris

Hello I am new user on solaris... I need to configure my solaris to be able to send mails... I know mailx command mailx -s hello address@address.com but I get an error... you have mail in /var/mail/root # hello... User unknown /dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter what... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail problems SUNOS BOX

now, i need to send a file to an email address but i cant seem to find a place on the internet that tells me that specifically. sites i came across just happens to be beating aroung the bush too much. i'm running a SUNOS box 5.6. can someone please give me the proper syntax. either for mailx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Format problems with fields

The following output has a space as the Field Separator. I need: $1 Set the field width to 15 then zero-fill to the right. $6 Set the field width to 15 then zero-fill to the left. 01-10016 1000 MV010 20090708 12003 $NK0015101 01 01-100161 12000 MV070 20090708 12003 $NK0015201 01... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: talk2pawee
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail problems -- with sending mail

Hello, I am C. and I would like to send mail with Sendmail to my hotmail-account. But this doesn't work, the mail always returns in the file: /var/spool/mail/root. Probably there is something wrong with my SmartHost. I configured it like: define ( 'SMART_HOST','smtp.direct-adsl.be') -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caroline
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MTA problems; root gets no mail

Hello, I am afraid that I goofed up my mailing system. I have an Ubuntu 9.10 system $ uname -smor Linux 2.6.31-14-generic x86_64 GNU/Linux I am wanting to receive cron job mails. I noticed that cron jobs were trying to send mail to sendmail. I had installed ssmtp so I could send mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Narnie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDOUT redirect to file and format problems

Hi All, I am using centOS. When I try to redirect STDOUT to a file, it ends up in getting some funny characters. For example ... STDOUT of the command as follows. $ ls H3k27me3 H3k36me3 H3k4me1 H3k4me2 H3k4me3 H3k9ac H4k20me1 $ ls >test $ cat test ^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chulamakuri
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using Unix mail command (2)

I recently generated myself the following error when attempting to use the Unix mail command: The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending mail. There is a recent thread about this issue here in unix.com (with a title very much like this thread's title), but it was closed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies
mail(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  mail(1B)

NAME
mail, Mail - interactive message processing system SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/mail ... /usr/ucb/Mail ... DESCRIPTION
/usr/ucb/mail and /usr/ucb/Mail are provided as links to /usr/bin/mailx. See mailx(1) for more information on the usage of these commands. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/ucb/mail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/ucb/Mail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mailx(1),attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 19 Aug 1998 mail(1B)