Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy code to vi
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy code to vi Post 48596 by mpty on Thursday 11th of March 2004 05:18:02 AM
Old 03-11-2004
If you are using vim then you might get better results by doing ":se paste" before the paste operation. Remember to reset the setting i.e. ":se nopaste" when going back to normal editting.

mpty

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy code from shell

Hi everyone.. I'm a full-fledged newbie so bear with me. =) I'm running code in the shell, and I'd like to copy the lines into a text file. Everytime I try using Contrl-C, the lines repeat as code. Is there some sort of export history function I can use? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yohoshua
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is in-core copy and disk-copy of i-node table?

I have found a question from the exercises of my study mat. The question is "Why are there a in-core copy and a disk-copy of i-node block and super block?" If any one know the proper answer then please send me..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Need help with copy

Hi Gurus, I need some help to fulfill the following requirement. I have a file A and some contents in it and I have file B and some conent in it. I need to append the contents on File A to FIle B. I am sure its Basics but missing it. Thank You, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy-pasted code behaves diffrent

Heyas I'm currently attempting to apply the code of tui-select to tui-list. That is because tui-list simply made a 1 string list, while tui-select uses dynamicly up to 3 strings per line. Anyway, so i copy pasted the code, and just made the changes marked with red.... Know that both scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with script to copy code to multiple servers

Hi, I am new to scripting and i am trying to use below script to copy code to multiple servers and multiple locations on each server. the script is not working or doesnt give any error. Any help is appreciated. basically i want a script to get the code from a location (dir below) and read the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ron0612
2 Replies
paste(1)							   User Commands							  paste(1)

NAME
paste - merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility will concatenate the corresponding lines of the given input files, and write the resulting lines to standard output. The default operation of paste will concatenate the corresponding lines of the input files. The NEWLINE character of every line except the line from the last input file will be replaced with a TAB character. If an EOF (end-of-file) condition is detected on one or more input files, but not all input files, paste will behave as though empty lines were read from the files on which EOF was detected, unless the -s option is specified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d list Unless a backslash character () appears in list, each character in list is an element specifying a delimiter character. If a backslash character appears in list, the backslash character and one or more characters following it are an element specifying a delimiter character as described below. These elements specify one or more delimiters to use, instead of the default TAB charac- ter, to replace the NEWLINE character of the input lines. The elements in list are used circularly. That is, when the list is exhausted, the first element from the list is reused. When the -s option is specified: o The last newline character in a file will not be modified. o The delimiter will be reset to the first element of list after each file operand is processed. When the option is not specified: o The NEWLINE characters in the file specified by the last file will not be modified. o The delimiter will be reset to the first element of list each time a line is processed from each file. If a backslash character appears in list, it and the character following it will be used to represent the following delimiter characters: Newline character. Tab character. \ Backslash character. Empty string (not a null character). If is immediately followed by the character x, the character X, or any character defined by the LC_CTYPE digit keyword, the results are unspecified. If any other characters follow the backslash, the results are unspecified. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The NEWLINE character of every line except the last line in each input file will be replaced with the TAB character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If - is specified for one or more of the files, the standard input will be used. The standard input will be read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of -. Implementations support pasting of at least 12 file operands. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of paste when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Listing a directory in one column example% ls | paste -d" " - Example 2: Listing a directory in four columns example% ls | paste - - - - Example 3: Combining pairs of lines from a file into single lines example% paste -s -d" t n" file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of paste: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cut(1), grep(1), pr(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
"line too long" Output lines are restricted to 511 characters. "too many files" Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified. "no delimiters" The -d option was specified with an empty list. "cannot open file" The specified file cannot be opened. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 paste(1)