Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users find and copy string in a file Post 48005 by vascobrito on Tuesday 24th of February 2004 05:19:23 PM
Old 02-24-2004
I don't mean to get abusive, but how can i print those 48 lines where we looked for the match, plus the next 96 lines?
I've tryed some things with the script, but i think i have to learn much more to understand all the script. I understand the sintaxe, but i don't know how to change this.
thanks , once again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to help to find and copy to a file

I am trying to search for files and copy them into a text file. Can anybody help me how to do that. find /test/sds/data -name "*.*" -mtime -365 -exec ls -altr {} \ this is my find command and want to copy the result to a file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujars1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a string to a text file

I am using the following command to email a tex file as an attachment- cat mailtext.txt | elm -s "Subject" emailAddr where content of mailtext.txt is - "Body of email" This will attach foo.txt with the email. My problem is that the file foo.txt is ceated dynamically everytime with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxlxboy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy string from files into new file

I'm trying to copy a string (myame@yahoo.com) from multiple files and save them to a new file. This is what's I've gathered so far: sed 's/string/g' file.txt > output.txt Not sure how to run this on multiple files and extract just the email address found in each file. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdell
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a string and copy the string after that

Hi! just want to seek help on this: i have a file wherein i want to find a string and copy the string after that and paste that other string to a new file. ex: TOTAL 123456 find "TOTAL" and copy "123456" and paste "123456" to a new file NOTE: there are many "TOTAL" strings on that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a string and copy lines from a file with that string on it

i have a file1 with many lines. i have a script that will let me input a string. for example, APPLE. what i need to do is to copy all lines from file1 where i can find APPLE or any string that i specify and paste in on file 2 thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
4 Replies

6. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in XML file, copy contents of section

I am new, really new to bash scripts. I want to search an XML file for a certain string, say "1234567890" Once found, I want to copy the entire contents from the previous instance of the string "Entity" to the next instance of "/Entity" to a txt file. And then continue searching for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrfiol
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and copy files based on todays date and search for a particular string

Hi All, I am new to shell srcipting. Problem : I need to write a script which copy the log files from /prod/logs directory based on todays date like (Jul 17) and place it to /home/hzjnr0 directory and then search the copied logfiles for the string "@ending successfully on Thu Jul 17". If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail.chiranjit
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and find the all records by string

Hello I would like to get know how to do this: I got a big file (about 1GB) and I need to find a string (for instance by grep ) and then find all records in this file based on a string. Thanks for advice. Martin (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mape
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a string to another file

OS version: RHEL 6.7 Shell : Bash I have a file like below. It has 500K lines. I want to extract TAG_IDs shown in single quote at the end to copied to another file. As if I had copied the TAG_IDs using block select (Column Select) in modern text editor $ cat file.txt UPDATE TAGREF SET... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
9 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD