Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lp - order of files printed
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users lp - order of files printed Post 47443 by mabrownawa on Tuesday 10th of February 2004 07:40:37 PM
Old 02-10-2004
lp - order of files printed

I have a shell script that is looping through a list of Postscript files to print.

ls -1tr *.PS > print.lst
PRINT_LIST=`cat print.lst`
for DMFILE in $PRINT_LIST
do
lp -d $PRINTER_NAME -o legal $DMFILE
done

The files in print.lst are in the order that they should be printed, however the order in which the files are printed appears to be completely random.

Here is a sample of print.lst, sequenced in the order to print

/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209137.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209138.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209139.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209140.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209141.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209142.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209143.PS
/prtspool/racprint/debitmemos/MNSF021.M0209144.PS

Here is the output from lpq:

active racuser 619 MNSF021.M0209137.PS 20200778 bytes
1st racuser 627 MNSF021.M0209145.PS 16781507 bytes
2nd racuser 621 MNSF021.M0209139.PS 20925819 bytes
3rd racuser 625 MNSF021.M0209143.PS 17315067 bytes
4th racuser 607 MNSF021.M0209125.PS 20202748 bytes
5th racuser 633 MNSF021.M0209151.PS 16825285 bytes
6th racuser 628 MNSF021.M0209146.PS 17372512 bytes
7th racuser 629 MNSF021.M0209147.PS 17078571 bytes
8th racuser 606 MNSF021.M0209124.PS 20928279 bytes
9th racuser 610 MNSF021.M0209128.PS 20928424 bytes

Why are the files printing in this seemingly random order? Is there a way that I can force the files to print in the order submitted?

Thanks, MB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files in numerical order

Hi, I'm trying to write a ksh script to copy a specified number of files from one directory to another. The files are named in the convention <switchname>_log.<num> and the numbers are sequential single digit onwards. I figured I could find some parameter for ls which would list the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list of files in date order

Im on HP/UX and am trying to find the command like an ll but that will sort showing the most currently modified programs first. Can anyone help me with that? :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeannine
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to exclude files from printed results

Hello I have application that part of its command I can get list of files to the stout . with the path . like : ./blah/blah/foo.c ./blah11/blah11/foo11.c ./blah12/blah12/foo11.h now I will like to filter this result and for instance see the "*.h" file or the "*.c" file or only the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order files by create date

hi Is there a way to sort files in the order they were created ,and move them to another directory one by one ,oldest being the first to be moved. Thanks Arif (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files enen when they are not in order

Hi, I have two master files which contain the information for many jobs like this Job no:1 a b c d Job no:1 d e g h Job no:2 t j s h Job no:2 t j s h I have written a script to pick up all the information for Job no:1 from file1 and put that to a temporary file and do the same from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first.

I want to recursively cat the content of files in a directory e.g. find /etc -type f -exec cat {} \; But I want it to print the file name first and then the content. For example let's say /etc/statetab and /etc/colord.conf will be printed first then I want the output to look something like; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files in ascending order?

Hi, I need to list files in ascending order. Filenames are in format inpTDT_1, inpTDT_2, inpTDT_3 and so on. I want to list them in the ascending order based on the digit after underscore and send the output to a file. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop Through Files in Order and mapping

Hi there, How can I loop through files with order. I tried using ls .html | sort -v However the filename is with spaces:1233.61.47.0 - 121.61.123.112 nexpose.html Here is the original code that is working well, but I need to sort through the filename.echo "<center>" for file in *.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 bytes(3pm)