Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: beginning unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers beginning unix Post 47191 by henroid815 on Wednesday 4th of February 2004 01:46:29 PM
Old 02-04-2004
beginning unix

i am fairly new to unix, and i would want a very simple, small command-line operating system to learn as much as possible. are there any good ones? i have a fairly old laptop w/ about 700 MB, running windows 95. i would like to partition it, anyone know how to do that? any help is very much appreciated. thanks a lot.

henroid815

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installation died on the beginning.

Hi, everyone. I tried to install red hat 8.0 on this computer ( CPU: Intel PIII 866, Memory 128 M, HD: 6.4G MATROX, Vedio card: RIVA TNT 16M), but the process always stuck. And the CD-ROM stopped and the light turned of, the HardDrive's light still on. I waited for almost one hour, but nothing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Apache: In the beginning...

:D Hello Everyone, This is my first post on this forum, and I a already like it :-) As you can tell I am a complete newbie to Apache. My mission is to setup a web server on my Suse Linux 8.1 box, initially for test purposes, and then if my ISP provider permits, then to allow other poeple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the very beginning

Actually, I had my first problem before even BEGINNING using my FreeBSD. The installation guide said I should run the rawrite tool and should do something like A> rawrite if i put the the file I want to image-copy and the rawrite.exe in the same directory somewhere. OK done that. Next it asks... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudrack
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script with line number at beginning of each line.

Could anybody help me. I need to create a script that reads a text file from STDIN and prints out the file to STDOUT with line numbers at the beginning of each line. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mascorro
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginning with UNIX

I'd like to start learning UNIX. Where should I begin? I have a desktop PC running Windows XP, but I don't use it for much since I got my Macbook. I was going to install Windows on my Mac, but I quickly noticed that I have absolutely no need for it. I'm just starting to learn my terminal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andou
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove white spaces from the beginning an end of a string in unix?

Suppose, I have a variable var=" name is ". I want to remove the blank spaces from the begining and endonly, not from the entire string. So, that the variable/string looks like following var="name is". Please look after the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

7. Programming

Beginning C++

I want to learn C++ ! :) I have basic programming knowledge with python and perl. Does anyone know of any great beginner tutorials for C++? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginning less from line #

Hi from a script i want to to read a file beginning at line e.g. number 21 to the EOF. less +n21 temp.txt Bevor the result, it brings an empty page, so that i cant use for scripting. Any idea how the problem can be solved? Thanks in advance! IMPe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

9. Programming

Beginning svn

I had hard time to understand svn, and asked my admin who said I was over thinking and recommend remember the 5~6 commands to do as told. But I am so lost when the situation changed a little bit. For example, I am in my local box under my project folder: /home/yifangt/svn/ where there are two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginning learner

Hi guys, New member here, also new student! I'm just starting the Shell Programming, currently in chapter four in the Book in Unix, Linux, and OS X by Stephen G. Kochan & Patrick Wood (4th edition). I'm needing a little help with other possible ways to shorten this shell command: // ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiver
1 Replies
PC-SYSINSTALL(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  PC-SYSINSTALL(8)

NAME
pc-sysinstall -- System installer backend SYNOPSIS
pc-sysinstall [-c file] [command] DESCRIPTION
The pc-sysinstall utility is a hybrid backend for installing FreeBSD. When run in install mode it takes a configuration file and performs an installation according to the parameters specified in the configuration file. When called with one of the system query commands it provides information about the system to aid a front end in building an appropriate configuration file. The following options are available: -c file Perform an installation as directed by file. COMMANDS
The command can be any one of the following: help Display a list of all commands. help command Display the help data for the specified command. disk-list Provide a listing of the storage devices detected on this system. disk-part disk Queries the specified storage device and returns information about its partitions. disk-info disk Returns information about a storage device's size, cylinders, heads, and sectors. detect-laptop Tests to see if this system is a laptop or desktop. detect-emulation Tests to see if this system is running in an emulator detect-nics Returns a listing of the detected network cards on this system. list-components Returns a listing of the available components which can be installed. list-rsync-backups user host port Returns a listing of available rsync-backups on the target server in the life-preserver/ directory. list-tzones Returns a listing of available timezones. query-langs Returns a list of languages that the installer supports. sys-mem Returns the size of installed system RAM in MegaBytes. test-netup test if an internet connection is available. update-part-list Returns a list of PC-BSD and FreeBSD installs on this system for updates. xkeyboard-layouts Returns a list of keyboard layouts that xorg supports. xkeyboard-models Returns a list of keyboard models that xorg supports. xkeyboard-variants Returns a list of keyboard variants that xorg supports. create-part disk size Create a new MBR primary slice on the target disk using size MB. delete-part partition Delete the disk partition specified. If this is the last partition, the disk partition layout will also be scrubbed, leaving a clean disk ready for MBR or GPT file system layouts. start-autoinstall file Start an automated installation with the specified file. Normally only used by automated install scripts. setup-ssh-keys user host port Setup SSH without a password for the target host, user, and port. Used to prompt the user to log into a server before doing a rsync + ssh restore. HISTORY
This version of pc-sysinstall first appeared in FreeBSD 9.0. AUTHORS
Kris Moore <kmoore@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
This utility was written to install PC-BSD and has seen limited use as an installer for FreeBSD. It's likely that usage to install FreeBSD will expose edge cases that PC-BSD doesn't, as well as generate feature requests based on unforeseen needs. BSD
June 24, 2010 BSD