Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making Emacs to show line number Post 46870 by RTM on Wednesday 28th of January 2004 10:43:21 AM
Old 01-28-2004
Sorry, I never even used emacs ( vi rules). Just searched for a possible solution to your problem to assist.

The code seems like a bit much for putting in line numbers but you might try it - seems to be the only thing to do if you really want the line numbers. And I have no clue of how you are suppose to use the program. I didn't find any 'set up' instructions.

I did note the waste of cpu...

Setnu is a mode that displays line numbers in Emacs buffers, much as the "set nu" command does under VI, hence the name. Setnu works under XEmacs and GNU Emacs. This package is best used on files with a few thousand lines at most, unless you have very fast hardware and are willing to waste it recalculating and redisplaying line numbers. The latest version of setnu is 1.06.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

emacs as a line editor

hello, I would like to use emacs as a line editor (I use emacs as editor). I try "set -o emacs" but I have nothing. Thank you for any help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sure a command line paramter is a number

i need to make sure that a command line paramter is with in a certin set of numbers and i dont know how todo it with out checking individual numbers. if test $1 -eq (need something here) then echo hi fi like if i put individual numbers in there it works fine but how do i do a range (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show result only if number is greater then

Hello all Im trying to write one liner that will show me results only if the result of the expression is greater then 0 For example: I do : find . -name "*.dsp" | xargs grep -c SecurityHandler the result are : ./foo/blah/a.dsp:0 ./foo/blah1/b.dsp:1 ./foo/blah2/c.dsp:2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Programming

Emacs line indentation

Hi. I'm writing a document in Python, so indentation is crucial. I want to indent a whole section by exactly one tab. Any idea how to go about this? I'm using terminal emacs (no mouse input) Thanks for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show difference between two number

Hi, I would like to show the difference between two numbers. For example. input.txt 1 7 2 10 0 0 6 7 I would like a third field showing the difference between the numbers as below: ouput.txt 1 7 6 2 10 8 0 0 0 6 7 1 How do I do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
4 Replies
b2m(1)							      General Commands Manual							    b2m(1)

NAME
b2m - convert old Emacs Rmail Babyl format to mbox format SYNOPSIS
b2m < babyl-file > mbox-file DESCRIPTION
b2m accepts Babyl format mail (as used by older versions of Rmail in GNU Emacs) on standard input, and converts it to mbox format on stan- dard output. Babyl was the storage format used by Rmail prior to Emacs 23.1. Since then, it uses standard mbox format. This program is distributed with GNU Emacs. OPTIONS
The program accepts unambiguous abbreviations for long option names. -V, --version Display version information. -h, --help Display basic usage information. SEE ALSO
The Babyl format is described in the file etc/BABYL in the Emacs distribution. Rmail is documented in the GNU Emacs manual, which you can read using Info, either from Emacs or as a standalone program. AUTHORS
b2m was originally written by Ed Wilkinson. Francesco Potorti updated it according to the GNU coding standards. COPYING
Copyright (C) 2008, 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this document provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this document under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this document into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be stated in a translation approved by the Free Software Foundation. b2m(1)