Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making Emacs to show line number Post 46869 by saurya_s on Wednesday 28th of January 2004 10:32:16 AM
Old 01-28-2004
I tried that but it is not working. Actually, I do get line number on the mode line but I would like numbers at the left or right end of the buffer.
I have been suggested this
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LineNumbers
but I didn't understand abc of it. Can you please have a look at it and let me know.
SS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

emacs as a line editor

hello, I would like to use emacs as a line editor (I use emacs as editor). I try "set -o emacs" but I have nothing. Thank you for any help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sure a command line paramter is a number

i need to make sure that a command line paramter is with in a certin set of numbers and i dont know how todo it with out checking individual numbers. if test $1 -eq (need something here) then echo hi fi like if i put individual numbers in there it works fine but how do i do a range (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show result only if number is greater then

Hello all Im trying to write one liner that will show me results only if the result of the expression is greater then 0 For example: I do : find . -name "*.dsp" | xargs grep -c SecurityHandler the result are : ./foo/blah/a.dsp:0 ./foo/blah1/b.dsp:1 ./foo/blah2/c.dsp:2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Programming

Emacs line indentation

Hi. I'm writing a document in Python, so indentation is crucial. I want to indent a whole section by exactly one tab. Any idea how to go about this? I'm using terminal emacs (no mouse input) Thanks for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show difference between two number

Hi, I would like to show the difference between two numbers. For example. input.txt 1 7 2 10 0 0 6 7 I would like a third field showing the difference between the numbers as below: ouput.txt 1 7 6 2 10 8 0 0 0 6 7 1 How do I do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
4 Replies
ZILE(1) 							   User Commands							   ZILE(1)

NAME
Zile - Zile Is Lossy Emacs SYNOPSIS
zile [OPTION-OR-FILENAME]... DESCRIPTION
Zile is a lightweight Emacs clone that provides a subset of Emacs's functionality suitable for basic editing. Run Zile, the lightweight Emacs clone. Initialization options: --no-init-file, -q do not load ~/.zile --funcall, -f FUNC call Zile Lisp function FUNC with no arguments --load, -l FILE load Zile Lisp FILE using the load function --help display this help message and exit --version display version information and exit Action options: FILE visit FILE using find-file +LINE FILE visit FILE using find-file, then go to line LINE Exit status is 0 if OK, 1 if it cannot start up, for example because of an invalid command-line argument, and 2 if it crashes or runs out of memory. FILES
~/.zile -- user's Zile init file /usr/share/zile/dotzile-extra.el -- which contains some useful code for the init file. AUTHOR
Zile was written by Sandro Sigala, David A. Capello and Reuben Thomas. The Lisp interpreter is based on code by Scott Lawrence. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to bug-zile@gnu.org. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. GNU Zile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may redistribute copies of Zile under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING. SEE ALSO
emacs(1) Zile 2.3.20 November 2010 ZILE(1)