Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VAX/VMS anyone??
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VAX/VMS anyone?? Post 46715 by RTM on Thursday 22nd of January 2004 12:46:10 PM
Old 01-22-2004
Free VMS account

Brother of UNIX? - distant cousin maybe. NT would be a closer relative to VMS than VMS to UNIX.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VMS ---- What sites can I visit to learn it????

please help, any VMS sites you know of to learn this operating system?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remotely execute a script (.COM ) on a VMS system ?

How to remotely execute a script (.COM ) on a VMS system ? rsh ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ivancleber
1 Replies

3. Linux

Cannot ftp from VMS to Linux

Hi I'm using a Linux machine (CENTOS 5) to ftp a file from a VMS Alpha box (i hardly know anything about these machines). All seems to be working upto the point where it states the transfer has started but it just hangs... ftp> get SPOOL.28 local: SPOOL.28 remote: SPOOL.28 200 Port 228.87... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizla65
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SFTP VMS to UNIX

All I am a VMS guy just learning UNIX. My first task is to SFTP files from VMS to UNIX in BATCHMODE without having to enter a password. Note that using SFTP interactively works just fine. I have followed some specific instructions provided by a vendor with no success. I have also read... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: randyhouse
0 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Linux-VServer vms to ESX migration

Hi, I have an existing linux server hosting some vservers. In addition, a VMware ESX is in place. My goal is to get rid of the linux-vserver system and migrate each vserver on the ESX properly. Is that possible ? Thanks for your help. Fiss (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiss
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

RHEL and Centos VMs with IO failure on root

Hello, I am running into this issues, few VMWare VM's that are running with RHEL 5.6 and Centos 5.7, are having read write errors on the root file system. This is noticed on all vm's. After looking to log files this what I noticed. #touch test.txt touch: cannot touch `test.txt': Read-only... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 VMs hang after about a week

Hi all, We're been having issues with quite a few Solaris 10 VMs hanging after about a week of uptime. These VMs are running on VMware ESXi 4.1 U1 hosts and the issue does not occur on any specific host. We also running CentOS VMs and are not experiencing any issues with those VMs. The VMs that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekivey
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Basic questions about Integrity VMs

Hello, I am looking into HP-UX 11.31 VMs and I had a few questions. We own two systems with 11.31 installed on them: HP 9000 rp3440 (RISC) - 2gb memory - 2 processors HP Integrity rx2660 (Itanium) - 8gb memory - 4 processors Looking at the memory requirements in the Integrity VM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Oracle VMs and VLANs

I've been given an IP address to assign to an ldom that is in a different subnet than the host, and I am looking for assistance in getting it online. I believe I need "VLAN tagging" as found in this link, but I do not understand all of the terminology. My host machine is on subnet 10.25.112.x,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstring
1 Replies
IEEE(3M)																  IEEE(3M)

NAME
copysign, drem, finite, logb, scalb - copysign, remainder, exponent manipulations SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> double copysign(x,y) double x,y; double drem(x,y) double x,y; int finite(x) double x; double logb(x) double x; double scalb(x,n) double x; int n; DESCRIPTION
These functions are required for, or recommended by the IEEE standard 754 for floating-point arithmetic. Copysign(x,y) returns x with its sign changed to y's. Drem(x,y) returns the remainder r := x - n*y where n is the integer nearest the exact value of x/y; moreover if |n-x/y|=1/2 then n is even. Consequently the remainder is computed exactly and |r| <= |y|/2. But drem(x,0) is exceptional; see below under DIAGNOSTICS. Finite(x) = 1 just when -infinity < x < +infinity, = 0 otherwise (when |x| = infinity or x is NaN or x is the VAX's reserved operand.) Logb(x) returns x's exponent n, a signed integer converted to double-precision floating-point and so chosen that 1 <= |x|/2**n < 2 unless x = 0 or (only on machines that conform to IEEE 754) |x| = infinity or x lies between 0 and the Underflow Threshold; see below under "BUGS". Scalb(x,n) = x*(2**n) computed, for integer n, without first computing 2**n. DIAGNOSTICS
IEEE 754 defines drem(x,0) and drem(infinity,y) to be invalid operations that produce a NaN. On a VAX, drem(x,0) returns the reserved op- erand. No infinity exists on a VAX. IEEE 754 defines logb(+-infinity) = +infinity and logb(0) = -infinity, requires the latter to signal Division-by-Zero. But on a VAX, logb(0) = 1.0 - 2.0**31 = -2,147,483,647.0. And if the correct value of scalb(x,n) would overflow on a VAX, it returns the reserved oper- and and sets errno to ERANGE. SEE ALSO
floor(3M), math(3M), infnan(3M) AUTHOR
Kwok-Choi Ng BUGS
Should drem(x,0) and logb(0) on a VAX signal invalidity by setting errno = EDOM? Should logb(0) return -1.7e38? IEEE 754 currently specifies that logb(denormalized no.) = logb(tiniest normalized no. > 0) but the consensus has changed to the specifica- tion in the new proposed IEEE standard p854, namely that logb(x) satisfy 1 <= scalb(|x|,-logb(x)) < Radix ... = 2 for IEEE 754 for every x except 0, infinity and NaN. Almost every program that assumes 754's specification will work correctly if logb follows 854's specification instead. IEEE 754 requires copysign(x,NaN) = +-x but says nothing else about the sign of a NaN. A NaN (Not a Number) is similar in spirit to the VAX's reserved operand, but very different in important details. Since the sign bit of a reserved operand makes it look negative, copysign(x,reserved operand) = -x; should this return the reserved operand instead? 4.3 Berkeley Distribution May 12, 1986 IEEE(3M)