Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using Sendmail for multiple domain names Post 46466 by RTM on Friday 16th of January 2004 11:28:02 AM
Old 01-16-2004
First check that your DNS is set up for the MX record for the other domain.

# nslookup
Server: mydns.mydomain.com
Address: 10.140.1.2

> set type=mx
> newdomain.com
Server: mydns.mydomain.com
Address: 10.140.1.2

domain1.com preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx.mydomain.com

Sendmail.org has some info on setting up virtual hosts/domains - if you have the Sendmail book, it will help.

sendmail.org RELAYING
Sendmail.org - Queue mail for other domain
Sendmail.org virtual hosting

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

using unregistered domain names

hey what the hell happens if you make sure (as best one can) that a domain name like anything.com is not used at all, and you set up your own DNS and use that name without registering with a registrar, i know if the address is in use you will make some people very upset and give many internet users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

blocking sendmail from domain

hi i edited the /etc/mail/access files with the line "yahoo.com REJECT", afterwhich i cannot send out files to the yahoo.com domain. :mad: can someone advise on how to go about configuring such that i am able to send mail out to yahoo.com BUT block INCOMING mail from yahoo.com :confused: i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
0 Replies

3. AIX

sendmail only sends emails to its own domain

Hi, folks! I have a problem with an AIX 5.3 server running sendmail where it is able to send messages within its own domain just fine. This is being used for a web email service portion of a web site. However, when it attempts to send email to any other domain -- i.e., hotmail.com -- it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjwood64
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Configuring sendmail to modify the domain name

Hi, I would like to change the domain name using sendmail. For example, currently mails are sent like user@domain1.com I would like to change it to user@domain2.com How this can be done from HP-UX? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smuthuvel
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help, find domain names in string

Hello, i have a file contains the information like below /home/username/domain.com/log/access /home/username/domain23.net/log/access /home/reseller/username/domain.com/log/access using a loop i can read every line of the file but i wants to extract domain name like(domain.com,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyes_drinker
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail: Remove domain name from From mail id

While sending mails using sendmail, the domain name is getting appended to the from id. My requirement is not to have that domain name in the From mail id. Could anyone help me on this? I am using the below command: cat t|/usr/lib/sendmail -f"Admin" user1@domain1.com (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skar_a
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail virtual domain problem

For a long time we have successfully been running mail servers using sendmail+ClamAV+clamav-milter+SpamAssassin+smf_spamd-milter on Solaris both as a mail server for several domains with local users getting their mail using POP and IMAP and also as a message filtering relay for other domains where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyt22
2 Replies

8. AIX

Allow unresolveable domain in AIX5.3/Sendmail 8.13.4

Is there a way in AIX5.3 with Sendmail 8.13.4 to accept a sender address with an unresolvable domain? I've read about the option: FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains') But can't seem to confirm if that option is available in this version of Sendmail. If it that feature is not available... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epearson1
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sendmail not delivering to own domain

I can send off network but can not send to anyone on network. SitRep is this the legacy mail system at work is setup as 2 servers, one is the outbound server and /etc/aliases has a list of users to deliver the mail to another server. for this instance we will call the 192.168.1.9(outgoing)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sycomix
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail with wrong domain name

Not sure if this is the right place so I'm sorry if its not. I am setting up a new RHE server and trying to get sendmail to work correctly. Currently when I test sendmail I will recieve an email from (username@servermydomain.com.com) I have scoured the sendmail.cf and cannot find this anywhere.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbelina
2 Replies
CANONICAL(5)							File Formats Manual						      CANONICAL(5)

NAME
canonical - format of Postfix canonical table SYNOPSIS
postmap /etc/postfix/canonical DESCRIPTION
The optional canonical table specifies an address mapping for local and non-local addresses. The mapping is used by the cleanup(8) daemon. The address mapping is recursive. Normally, the canonical table is specified as a text file that serves as input to the postmap(1) command. The result, an indexed file in dbm or db format, is used for fast searching by the mail system. Execute the command postmap /etc/postfix/canonical in order to rebuild the indexed file after changing the text file. When the table is provided via other means such as NIS, LDAP or SQL, the same lookups are done as for ordinary indexed files. Alternatively, the table can be provided as a regular-expression map where patterns are given as regular expressions. In that case, the lookups are done in a slightly different way as described below. The canonical mapping affects both message header addresses (i.e. addresses that appear inside messages) and message envelope addresses (for example, the addresses that are used in SMTP protocol commands). Think Sendmail rule set S3, if you like. Typically, one would use the canonical table to replace login names by Firstname.Lastname, or to clean up addresses produced by legacy mail systems. The canonical mapping is not to be confused with virtual domain support. Use the virtual(5) map for that purpose. The canonical mapping is not to be confused with local aliasing. Use the aliases(5) map for that purpose. TABLE FORMAT
The format of the canonical table is as follows: pattern result When pattern matches a mail address, replace it by the corresponding result. blank lines and comments Empty lines and whitespace-only lines are ignored, as are lines whose first non-whitespace character is a `#'. multi-line text A logical line starts with non-whitespace text. A line that starts with whitespace continues a logical line. With lookups from indexed files such as DB or DBM, or from networked tables such as NIS, LDAP or SQL, patterns are tried in the order as listed below: user@domain address user@domain is replaced by address. This form has the highest precedence. This form useful to clean up addresses produced by legacy mail systems. It can also be used to produce Firstname.Lastname style addresses, but see below for a simpler solution. user address user@site is replaced by address when site is equal to $myorigin, when site is listed in $mydestination, or when it is listed in $inet_interfaces. This form is useful for replacing login names by Firstname.Lastname. @domain address Every address in domain is replaced by address. This form has the lowest precedence. In all the above forms, when address has the form @otherdomain, the result is the same user in otherdomain. ADDRESS EXTENSION
When a mail address localpart contains the optional recipient delimiter (e.g., user+foo@domain), the lookup order becomes: user+foo@domain, user@domain, user+foo, user, and @domain. An unmatched address extension (+foo) is propagated to the result of table lookup. REGULAR EXPRESSION TABLES
This section describes how the table lookups change when the table is given in the form of regular expressions. For a description of regu- lar expression lookup table syntax, see regexp_table(5) or pcre_table(5). Each pattern is a regular expression that is applied to the entire address being looked up. Thus, user@domain mail addresses are not broken up into their user and @domain constituent parts, nor is user+foo broken up into user and foo. Patterns are applied in the order as specified in the table, until a pattern is found that matches the search string. Results are the same as with indexed file lookups, with the additional feature that parenthesized substrings from the pattern can be inter- polated as $1, $2 and so on. BUGS
The table format does not understand quoting conventions. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant to this topic. See the Postfix main.cf file for syntax details and for default values. Use the postfix reload command after a configuration change. canonical_maps List of canonical mapping tables. recipient_canonical_maps Address mapping lookup table for envelope and header recipient addresses. sender_canonical_maps Address mapping lookup table for envelope and header sender addresses. Other parameters of interest: inet_interfaces The network interface addresses that this system receives mail on. masquerade_classes List of address classes subject to masquerading: zero or more of envelope_sender, envelope_recipient, header_sender, header_recipi- ent. masquerade_domains List of domains that hide their subdomain structure. masquerade_exceptions List of user names that are not subject to address masquerading. mydestination List of domains that this mail system considers local. myorigin The domain that is appended to locally-posted mail. owner_request_special Give special treatment to owner-xxx and xxx-request addresses. SEE ALSO
cleanup(8) canonicalize and enqueue mail postmap(1) create mapping table virtual(5) virtual domain mapping pcre_table(5) format of PCRE tables regexp_table(5) format of POSIX regular expression tables LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA CANONICAL(5)