Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers system messages log (Sun and AIX) Post 46093 by jsilva on Thursday 8th of January 2004 09:21:59 AM
Old 01-08-2004
Re: system messages log (Sun and AIX)

Quote:
Originally posted by VeroL
As /var/adm/messages is empty on my machine, i need help.
See if syslogd process is running...
Both messages and syslog contains system messages, you define them at /etc/syslog.conf.

All kind of unix has a ( plain text ) system messages log file, it's location depends on the system ( do man syslog ).
The syslog files are text files.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Log for Sun Solaris 2.6

G'day. I have some questions on the Sun Solaris 2.6 OS. I would appreciate if you could refer me some write up or information on the following questions. 1. Terminal Time Out feature ? - Is this OS capable of doing this ? If the terminal is idle for a certain time of period. The system should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

3. AIX

How to apply aix 5.3 TL8 properly on ML5 aix system ?

Is it necessary to put system into single user mode for applying aix 5.3 TL8 on a aix 5.3.5.0 system ? Is the TL8 installation not totally safe ? thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
6 Replies
SYSLOG(8)                                                         System Logging                                                         SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)