Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: system sleep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers system sleep Post 45329 by tamemi on Thursday 18th of December 2003 05:41:50 AM
Old 12-18-2003
system sleep

Dear All ,

I installed new Linux Red Hat 9 system and it is working fine .

but while i keep it for certain time ideal ( i mean ndo not wrok on system itself ) it goes to mode like sleep mode ,,, but while it is in sleep mode i can not ping it or telnet !!

i discovered it while i was telnet it , i got disconnected , i went to system itself and pressed any key and screen come up again .. i telnet again !

how can avoid this problem plz

thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep

what is the purpose of the sleep command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep under one second

If I want a script to sleep for less than a second, would I use a decimal? In other words, if I wanted my script to sleep for 1/4 of a second, would I say, SLEEP .25 ?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep less than 1 second

Does anyone know a way to sleep less than 1 second? Sometimes when I write scripts that iterates a loop many times it would be nice to slow things down, but sometimes 1 second is too much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorno
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep while i > 0

Hi, I have a script that runs a process at the beginning and I want to sleep/wait until this process is finished and then continue with the rest of the script. I am trying with this, but it is not working: process=`ps -ef | grep "proc_p01 -c" | grep -v grep | wc -l` if ; do sleep 10 done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies

6. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
TELNET-PROBE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   TELNET-PROBE(1)

NAME
telnet-probe - lightweight telnet-like port probe SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/telnet-probe [-c] [-v] host port DESCRIPTION
telnet-probe allows the pmdashping(1) daemons to establish connections to arbitrary local and remote service-providing daemons so that response time and service availability information can be obtained. The required host and port number arguments have the same meaning as their telnet(1) equivalents. The -c option causes telnet-probe to perform a connect(2) only. This skips the read(2) and write(2) exercise that would otherwise be done after connecting (see below). The -v option causes telnet-probe to be verbose while operating. Once the telnet connection has been established, telnet-probe reads from stdin until end-of-file, and writes all the input data to the tel- net connection. Next, telnet-probe will read from the telnet connection until end-of-file, discarding whatever data it receives. Then telnet-probe exits. To operate successfully, the input passed via telnet-probe to the remote service must be sufficient to cause the remote service to close the connection when the last line of input has been processed, e.g. ending with ``quit'' when probing SMTP on port 25. By default telnet-probe will not produce any output, unless there is an error in which case a diagnostic message can be displayed (in ver- bose mode only) and the exit status will be non-zero indicating a failure. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). DIAGNOSTICS
If telnet-probe succeeds, then 0 will be returned. If the attempt to establish a connection fails or is terminated, then a non-zero exit status is returned. SEE ALSO
PCPintro(1), pmdashping(1), pmie(1), telnet(1), connect(2), read(2) and write(2). Performance Co-Pilot PCP TELNET-PROBE(1)