Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: basic question about shells?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers basic question about shells? Post 45151 by Neo on Monday 15th of December 2003 09:20:53 PM
Old 12-15-2003
Yes.

You can also install additional shells, as many people have their favorites from working in this environment for years and are expert with an old favorite shell

Neo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS basic question

Hello everybodyI have connected an external tape drive onto my Sun Spark station running Sun OS 4.1.3. since am in the basic elementary stage in Sun OS, can someone answer the below questions pls 1) after connecting the tape drive to a server and rebooting does /dev/st0 show up automatically?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Book and Links about Shells; and zsh question

HI, I would like to ask You about some good books or links where I can find information about shells, theoretical information. I will be grateful if You can help me And I have question about zsh loop trivial script: #!/bin/zsh for i in {1..100000} do echo $i; doneexec time is 10... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physix
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding shells and subshells when a script is run

I have the following script running with nohup on one of my servers: #!/bin/bash #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #set log number #i=1 #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #Check if log exits, if so incrememnt log number up so we don't clobber #while... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
8 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-L | -P] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -L option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. EXIT STATUS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD