Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XP -- Redhat Dual Boot
Special Forums IP Networking XP -- Redhat Dual Boot Post 45115 by syrex on Monday 15th of December 2003 09:41:23 AM
Old 12-15-2003
Question XP -- Redhat Dual Boot

Hi guys!

Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different makes but both running WinXP. It works perfectly on another laptop running WinME. Any ideas?? Smilie

Thanx in advance!! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

redhat 7.2 dual head video card

HI. i have two monitor and two video card in one system, i want use both of the monitor, i am currently using redhat 7.2 and solaris 8, i was wondering if someone can help me set my system as a dual monitor, basically it called dual head in redhat but i dont' know what it called in sun. Im tring... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot Redhat with Windows 2k or XP

I know this is a common question, but.... I am working on 2 seperate computers. Each machine has one hdd. I want to Install Redhat with Win2k on one machine, and Redhat with Xp on the other. I know there are some issues with the install sequence to get Grub to work with both, but I am a little... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DUAL BOOT redhat linux 7.3 - W2K

Hi, i know a little bit of Unix, but not a whole lot. I have a PC with W2K running on it. I want to install redhat Linux 7.3 as new OS in dual boot. do I need to install a boot manager like system commander or does the linux install detects other OS'es and create a dual boot 4 me (like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxthree
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

6. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

7. Linux

Dual-boot help

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a dual-boot machine with Linux (RH FC 5) and Unix (Solaris 10)? I currently have one OS (Linux RH FC 5) on one drive (master) and another OS (Unix - Solaris 10) on the other drive (slave). I am a little unsure of what to modify the grub.config file with,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trmn8r
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Dual Boot Problem - Vista & Redhat -Incorrect BIOS geometry

Hi Folks, Initially I had vista and redhat 9 .. due to some reasons i had to re instal my vista again.. since then the dual boot menu disappeared.. i tried to re install redhat and changing the boot configuration of redhat 9 but i am not getting both the OS back .. I am not aboe to boot linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Do you dual-boot with other os

When I first started using Linux (Ubuntu) I decided to just do a full install. The PC I installed it on, was full of viruses and to be honest, I was never good handling them. So, I decided to just go for it and install. Anyways I got another computer recently, a much newer one and I decided to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
3 Replies
mpartition(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mpartition(1)

Name
       mpartition - partition an MSDOS hard disk

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mpartition command is used to create MS-DOS file systems as partitions.  This is intended to be used on non-Linux systems, i.e. systems
       where fdisk and easy access to SCSI devices are not available.  This command only works on drives whose partition variable is set.

mpartition -p drive
       mpartition -r drive
       mpartition -I [-B bootSector] drive
       mpartition -a drive
       mpartition -d drive
       mpartition -c [-s sectors] [-h heads]
       [-t cylinders] [-v [-T type] [-b
       begin] [-l length] [-f]

Mpartition supports the following operations:

p      Prints a command line to recreate the partition for the drive.  Nothing is printed if the partition for the drive is not defined, or
	      an inconsistency has been detected.  If verbose (-v) is also set, prints the current partition table.

r      Removes the partition described by drive.

I      Initializes the partition table, and removes all partitions.

c      Creates the partition described by drive.

a      "Activates" the partition, i.e. makes it bootable.  Only one partition can be bootable at a time.

d      "Deactivates" the partition, i.e. makes it unbootable.

If no operation is given, the current settings are printed.

For partition creations, the following options are available:

s sectors
	      The number of sectors per track of the partition (which is also the number of sectors per track for the whole drive).

h heads
	      The number of heads of the partition (which is also the number of heads for the whole drive).  By default, the geometry  information
	      (number of sectors and heads) is figured out from neighboring partition table entries, or guessed from the size.

t cylinders
	      The number of cylinders of the partition (not the number of cylinders of the whole drive.

b begin
	      The  starting offset of the partition, expressed in sectors. If begin is not given, mpartition lets the partition begin at the start
	      of the disk (partition number 1), or immediately after the end of the previous partition.

l length
	      The size (length) of the partition, expressed in sectors.  If end is not given, mpartition figures out the size from the	number	of
	      sectors,	heads  and  cylinders.	 If these are not given either, it gives the partition the biggest possible size, considering disk
	      size and start of the next partition.

The following option is available for all operation which modify the partition table:

f      Usually, before writing back any changes to the partition, mpartition performs certain consistency  checks,  such  as  checking  for
	      overlaps	and  proper alignment of the partitions.  If any of these checks fails, the partition table is not changes.  The -f allows
	      you to override these safeguards.

The following options are available for all operations:

v      Together with -p prints the partition table as it is now (no change operation), or as it is after it is modified.

vv     If the verbosity flag is given twice, mpartition will print out a hexdump of the partition table when reading it from and writing it
	      to the device.

The following option is available for partition table initialization:

B bootSector
	      Reads the template master boot record from file bootSector.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13							     mpartition(1)