Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix user ID's case-sensitive? Post 45060 by dmilleville on Sunday 14th of December 2003 07:38:48 PM
Old 12-14-2003
I realize that it would be possible to create a system that would
allow case-sensitive ID's, if only for the convenience of the system
administrator with 2 or more users wanting the same alphabetic
characters for their ID. I realize other systems have probably
already done this, but I was mainly interested in whether or not
UNIX/LINUX has had this capability added since I last used UNIX.

The system I have created does not interface directly with the
internet or email system, so there will not be any email conflicts.
The system processes files and allows private communications
over an intranet system.

In developing a new product, the developer tries to give their
product additional capabilities that set it apart from other entries.
This new capability for the system I have created may be rarely
used. But if it IS used once in a while, then I feel it was worth
while.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Hostname Case sensitive ?????

Hello users, I have a question ? I was just wondering whether the hostname on unix systems are case sensitive. For example in the system which I work. ping TestHost and ping testhost gives me the same output i.e I get the reply from the remote host Is this applicable for all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajphaj
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to disable case sensitive on RHEL ?

Hi all, Im newbie, can i disable case sensitive on RHEL environment, and how? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case sensitive in Case Switch

In a Case switch, how to ignore case sensitive in the test: e.g. case "$field" in "TEST) action1;; *) action2;; esac How to go in action1 in case of $field = TEST , or Test , or test or .... without enumerating all possibilities... Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annelisa
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Tcp_conn_req_max_q (CASE-sensitive?)

I was instructed by my superior to change kernel parameter, adding up this parameter to /etc/system. Server is Solaris 10 on SPARC. Tcp_conn_req_max_q 1024In my Google search, all I know that the sentence is in small case (tcp_conn_req_max_q) but as you can see above, instruction given... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olli.Lang
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to take parameters as non case sensitive

Is there a way for me to take a parameter then store it in a variable and use its value as non case sensitive? Ex. Lets say i have a parameter which contains "Hey". Then im gonna store it to GR using GR=$1. CL=/install/$GR.g How can i make GR non case sensitive so that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find iname is being case sensitive

Can someone please tell me why iname is being case sensitive with this? $ find /media -iname *load* 2>/dev/null /media/Part 2/stuff/Downloads /media/Part 1/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/wnul4kj4.irc/chatzilla/downloads /media/Part 1/Bob_5-22-2010/Application... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case sensitive awk file split

Hello all, This is my first thread so please let me know if I am doing anything wrong or not following etiquette. I have an input file that looks like 123a12345 345a12445 245a66792 245A12345 215A23566 and I want output files that look like a.txt 123a12345 345a12445 245a66792 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: monstrousturtle
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case sensitive in If loop .

Hi All, select app from the menu: ABC DEF GHI JKL ALL # ALL will select all the apps in the menu echo "Enter your option" read option; if then <execute the below command> elif # option is the 1 selection from menu...not ALL <execute the below command> else (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devaraj A
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeated lines-case sensitive

Hi, users file contains below names i have a requirement to keep only one case sensitive user. For e.g if user name is "aaa" then only aaa should be there in the file and other matching users(AAA,aaA) should be deleted. Tried multiple options but no luck can you please help. aaa abc AAA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me in using case sensitive command

Hello All, Please help me with this I need to create a cronjob that should delete all files which are older than 30days with '*.txt' and should not delete files with '*TEST*.txt' either file name TEST is upper or test lower case sensitive here's the script /DIR -type f -name '*.txt'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_007
7 Replies
productsign(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    productsign(1)

NAME
productsign -- Sign an OS X Installer product archive SYNOPSIS
productsign [options] --sign identity input-product-path output-product-path DESCRIPTION
productsign adds a digital signature to a product archive previously created with productbuild(1). Although you can add a digital signature at the time you run productbuild(1), you may wish to add a signature later, once the product archive has been tested and is ready to deploy. If you run productsign on a product archive that was previously signed, the existing signature will be replaced. To sign a product archive, you will need to have a certificate and corresponding private key -- together called an ``identity'' -- in one of your accessible keychains. To add a signature, specify the name of the identity using the --sign option. The identity's name is the same as the ``Common Name'' of the certificate. If you want to search for the identity in a specific keychain, specify the path to the keychain file using the --keychain option. Otherwise, the default keychain search path is used. productsign will embed the signing certificate in the product archive, as well as any intermediate certificates that are found in the key- chain. If you need to embed additional certificates to form a chain of trust between the signing certificate and a trusted root certificate on the system, use the --cert option to give the Common Name of the intermediate certificate. Multiple --cert options may be used to embed multiple intermediate certificates. The signature can optionally include a trusted timestamp. This is enabled by default when signing with a Developer ID identity, but it can be enabled explicitly using the --timestamp option. A timestamp server must be contacted to embed a trusted timestamp. If you aren't connected to the Internet, you can use --timestamp=none to disable timestamps, even for a Developer ID identity. ARGUMENTS AND OPTIONS
--sign identity-name The name of the identity to use for signing the product archive. --keychain keychain-path Specify a specific keychain to search for the signing identity. --cert certificate-name Specify an intermediate certificate to be embedded in the product archive. --timestamp Include a trusted timestamp with the signature. --timestamp=none Disable trusted timestamp, regardless of identity. input-product-path The product archive to be signed. output-product-path The path to which the signed product archive will be written. Must not be the same as input-product-path. SEE ALSO
productbuild(1) Mac OS September 15, 2010 Mac OS