Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking ttymon error and console login Post 44915 by csross on Friday 12th of December 2003 08:36:01 AM
Old 12-12-2003
Hi,

That didn't do anything. I can't reboot this machine either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable Root Console login

After Configuring a brand new netraT1, It appears, the only way you can log in as root is throught the Serial Port (console). I believe there is a file in /etc which can be edited to allow root to access login via other methods eg: telnet, ssh, etc. My Question: Which file contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login Console

Hi All, I am very new to Unix and already have a problem... My predecessor didn't note down the username and password to login to the console of an HP D Class 9000 enterprise server we have. I was wondering whether there is any way to bypass this console login screen in Unix... If not is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RMadjitey
1 Replies

3. SCO

login problem at console

I am running sco 5.06 open server We have encountered the problem while login into the live Online server. After putting the usr as root, the system is taking time(20 Sec) to show me ‘Password:'. Sometimes the system shows login time out. Again sometimes the system is showing password:, after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmanm
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unable to login at console and telnet

Hi friend, I'm facing a problem to access the console and telnet to the HP ux 11 server due to the system file is full. How to access this server via single mode and how to mount the folder / and folder /var? thanks. vestro (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vestro
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Help me with console login problem

Hi, I have solaris 10 installed on my computer and when try to login in console mode, it would give output something like this. login:root Password: Last login: Thu May 29 10:00:55 on console -sh: syntax error: `(' unexpected -sh: grep: not found -sh: uname: not found -sh: test:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Cannot able to login on console

Hi I can neither able to login on console with my user ID nor with root user on HP-UX 9000/800 v11.11. I am putting the correct Password.While my colleague can login as his user on console. What is the reason that I can't login to console? Pl. help & thanks in advance. Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Cannot log from console login

Hello All, I'm facing the following problem: On a specific server I have installed Red Hat ES 4.5 and everything seems ok. But after a specific reboot, when the login prompt on the console, I put the root password and I can´t log on. It is strange for me due to if y try to log on using SSH I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Console Login Failed..

Dear Unix Team, This is sudhansu once again. I need some tips on below issue. Sometimes we got calls from customer that their console got hangged means they are not able to access the server through console ip. in that case "resetsc -y" will resolve the issue. 2. But couple of days... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Console Login and Telnet

Hopefully my question makes sense, but I was wondering if the telnet service has anything to do with console logins or if they are completely unrelated. So for example, does the /etc/default/login file in UNIX have anything to do with Telnet? So if I want to verify that the root user can't login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixauditor
8 Replies

10. AIX

Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console.

Hi, i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server. also the server is not ping-able with other server. filesystem is fine. and OS version is AIX 5.3. please let me know if you need any specific log. thx in advance. Scriptor (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. If the console is /dev/vt/active, the owner of the devices is the first user logged in on the consoles (/dev/console or /dev/vt/#). Upon this first user's logout the owner and group of these devices is reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd. Fields are separated by a TAB or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, (#), and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). By default, it is /dev/vt/active, which points to the current active console, including /dev/console and all virtual consoles (/dev/vt/#). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) are set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format, for example, 0774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. A device name must be a /dev link. A directory or logical name in the device name can be either one of the following: o A fully qualified name, for example, fbs. o A regular expression, for example, [a-z0-9.]+. See regexp(5) for more information on regular expressions. o The wildcard character * specifying all directory or node names (except . and .., for example, /dev/fbs/* specifies all frame buffer devices. Some examples of /etc/logindevperm file entries include: /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/[0-9]+/[a-z0-9.]+ /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/[0-9]+/* /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/*/* Specify all ugen(7D) endpoints and status nodes. Drivers can also be specified to limit the permission changes to minor nodes owned by the specified drivers. For example, /dev/console 0600 /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/[0-9]+/* driver=usb_mid,scsa2usb,usbprn # libusb devices Due to the persistence of devfs(7FS) minor node management, the user should be logged in as root if the list of minor nodes will be reduced and the devices should all be plugged in. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices are reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typi- cally other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4), regexp(5), ugen(7D) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.11 25 Sep 2008 logindevperm(4)