Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting lines and files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Counting lines and files Post 44836 by jorge.ferreira on Thursday 11th of December 2003 09:06:39 AM
Old 12-11-2003
The Backup tool

The Backup tool is also a script.

This Script is this:

cd /
lincacd

cd /home/jorge/JJ
rm ./log.txt

date "+Backup started at %d/%m/%Y - %T" >> ./log.txt

#Backup integral
cd /usr/acct/sigma/disam
tar cvf /dev/rtp ./CTA/dados ./CTA/dados.2002 ./CTA/dados.2004 ./ARM/dados ./ARM/dados.2002 ./PAT/dados ./CEM ./CIC ./FEI ./UPA ./PUB ./GERAIS ./GERAIS.2002

cd /home/jorge/JJ
date "+Backup ended at %d/%m/%Y - %T" >> ./log.txt

exit

Where ./CTA, ./ARM ... are different directories. After this script, i would like to know how many files have been copied to the tape (/dev/rtp) from each one of these directories.

As you can see, right now the only information it gives me is when it has started and ended. What i want is to know how many files did it copied in each directory. That's why i wanted to know how could i get the number of files within a tape that followed some pattern ("./CTA"). Can 'grep' do this?

Thank you for your reply

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

counting the number of lines

Hello, I have afile which begins with a few urls on multiple lines and then there is listing of some information on separate lines. The listing begins with the word Name on a given line followed by teh actual list. I want to count the number of lines in this file after the line having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayeemmz
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files with AWK filtering and counting lines

Hi there, I have a couple of files I need to merge. I can do a simple merge by concatenating them into one larger file. But then I need to filter the file to get a desired result. The output looks like this: TRNH 0000000010941 ORDH OADR OADR ORDL ENDT 1116399 000000003... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meert
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines of diff files in loop

i have two file. i want to count the lines of each file one by one in loop and compare it. can any one pls help me on this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in multiple files

Hi, I have couple of .txt files (say 50 files) in a folder. For each file: I need to get the number of lines in each file and then that count -1 (I wanted to exclude the header. Then sum the counts of all files and output the total sum. Is there an efficient way to do this using shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines between two patterns

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: wwe khfgv jfo wwe jhgfd wwe wwe hoaha hao lkahe wwe (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines

Hi, I have a little problem with counting lines. I know similar topics from this forum, but they don't resolve my problem. I have file with lines like this: 2009-05-25 16:55:32,143 some text some regular expressions ect. 2009-05-25 16:55:32,144 some text. 2009-05-28 18:15:12,148 some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines for each application

Hi All, I have a output that suppose to be like this (see below please) App : Line counts === ================== AAA: 100 BBB: 201 CCC: 137 DDD: 32 EEE: 55 for i in `ps -ef | grep App`; do print $i; done This only shows App : === (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete # of Lines after counting

I'm trying to write a script to clean up log file automatically when it reaches 1000 lines. I can't get this to work..can some help me please :) Server: SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-53 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 #!/bin/ksh #file reference file=`echo "$HOME/support/moe/b.tc"` #linecount... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed counting lines

Hi, I'm using the command: sed -n '$=' $1 on a sh script on AIX. This script is used to count the number of lines of files. If the file has no lines at all the command doesn't return nothing. I need the command to return 0 when the file has no lines at all. How can I achieve this? Best... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jppedroso
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
       bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log

DESCRIPTION
       The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross-
       indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands.

The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an
       operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation.

Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup
       Server.	When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its
       copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database
       technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number.

Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape
       on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility.

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26								BDB.DB0(5)