Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting lines and files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Counting lines and files Post 44830 by davidg on Thursday 11th of December 2003 08:12:29 AM
Old 12-11-2003
Hi,

Counting lines inside a file and counting lines inside a file on tape are two different thing.

First of all, if you have a plain text-file you can do this using "wc -l"

F.E. : cat /var/adm/messages | wc -l >>/tmp/lines

This will count the number of lines from de messages file and <strong>appends</strong> this number to the file /tmp/lines

looking on tape depends on how you saved it. "tar tvf /dev/rtp", might tell you the files that are on the tape, but no garantuee. fining out the number of lines per file can only be done when restoring the file. At least for as far as I know. Maybe we can help a little more on this if we get to know the backup tool and method.

Regs David

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

counting the number of lines

Hello, I have afile which begins with a few urls on multiple lines and then there is listing of some information on separate lines. The listing begins with the word Name on a given line followed by teh actual list. I want to count the number of lines in this file after the line having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayeemmz
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files with AWK filtering and counting lines

Hi there, I have a couple of files I need to merge. I can do a simple merge by concatenating them into one larger file. But then I need to filter the file to get a desired result. The output looks like this: TRNH 0000000010941 ORDH OADR OADR ORDL ENDT 1116399 000000003... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meert
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines of diff files in loop

i have two file. i want to count the lines of each file one by one in loop and compare it. can any one pls help me on this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in multiple files

Hi, I have couple of .txt files (say 50 files) in a folder. For each file: I need to get the number of lines in each file and then that count -1 (I wanted to exclude the header. Then sum the counts of all files and output the total sum. Is there an efficient way to do this using shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines between two patterns

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: wwe khfgv jfo wwe jhgfd wwe wwe hoaha hao lkahe wwe (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines

Hi, I have a little problem with counting lines. I know similar topics from this forum, but they don't resolve my problem. I have file with lines like this: 2009-05-25 16:55:32,143 some text some regular expressions ect. 2009-05-25 16:55:32,144 some text. 2009-05-28 18:15:12,148 some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines for each application

Hi All, I have a output that suppose to be like this (see below please) App : Line counts === ================== AAA: 100 BBB: 201 CCC: 137 DDD: 32 EEE: 55 for i in `ps -ef | grep App`; do print $i; done This only shows App : === (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete # of Lines after counting

I'm trying to write a script to clean up log file automatically when it reaches 1000 lines. I can't get this to work..can some help me please :) Server: SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-53 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 #!/bin/ksh #file reference file=`echo "$HOME/support/moe/b.tc"` #linecount... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed counting lines

Hi, I'm using the command: sed -n '$=' $1 on a sh script on AIX. This script is used to count the number of lines of files. If the file has no lines at all the command doesn't return nothing. I need the command to return 0 when the file has no lines at all. How can I achieve this? Best... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jppedroso
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies
TAPELIST(5)						   File formats and conventions 					       TAPELIST(5)

NAME
tapelist - The list of Amanda volumes in use DESCRIPTION
The tapelist file contains the list of tapes in active use. This file is not ordinarily ordinarily edited or examined manually. Its format may change, or it may be removed altogether, in future versions of Amanda. It contains lines of the form: YYYYMMDD label flags [BARCODE:barcode] [META:meta] [BLOCKSIZE:blocksize] [#comment] Where YYYYMMDD is the date the tape was written, label is a label for the tape as written by amlabel and flags is one of "reuse" or "no-reuse" and tells Amanda whether the tape may be reused. A non-reusable tape will not be overwritten, even if it is older than dumpcycle dumps. See the reuse options of amadmin(8). The optional barcode is prefixed with 'BARCODE' if the volume have a barcode. The optional meta label is prefixed with 'META' if the volume is on a meta volume. The optional blocksize is prefixed with 'BLOCKSIZE'. The optional comment is prefixed with a '#' and continues to the end of the line. Amanda will maintain this comment until the tape is overwritten. Note that comments are not allowed on blank lines. The file is sorted such that the most-recently used tape appears on the first line, and the oldest tape appears on the last line. Amdump and amflush will by default refuse to write to an unlabeled tape, or to a labeled tape that is considered active or marked "no-reuse". There must be more tapes in active rotation (see the tapecycle option) than there are runs in the backup cycle (see the dumpcycle option) to prevent overwriting a backup image that would be needed to do a full recovery. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
James da Silva <jds@amanda.org> Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 TAPELIST(5)