Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: will I be able to do it ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers will I be able to do it ? Post 4480 by Neo on Wednesday 25th of July 2001 05:26:04 AM
Old 07-25-2001
Microsoft networking is 'graphical click and popup based' and assumes that the user is not interested in learning about the detail of how the actual network processes work. The overal philosophy is 'users don't care about the details, they want it to be spoon fed to them'.

UNIX is built on a quite different philosophy. One of the tenants of that philosophy is that the user needs to "command the system" and not "the system commands the user." This results in the need to learn an incredible amount of detail about the underlying processes and structures.

This board assumes that newbies are self-motivated with a strong desire to learn. We cannot motivate nor advise folks on how to make a mental shift from the mindset created by point-and-click experience.

I can tell you that on the server-side, point-and-click is normally risky and takes much more time than understanding the command line side. However, on the desktop side, point-and-click has merit.

I'm very suprised to read you are an electrical engineer and a C programmer but are not inclined to dig in a learn UNIX from the posts you reference.

Perhaps a nice expresso machine and a month in isolation with your favorite UNIX platform? This is how most of us got started Smilie

MULTILOAD_APPLET(1)													       MULTILOAD_APPLET(1)

NAME
multiload_applet - Multiload (cpu, load average, memory, net, swap) applet for the GNOME panel. SYNOPSIS
multiload_applet [ --activate-goad-server[=GOAD_ID] ] DESCRIPTION
multiload_applet Contains 5 applets. CPU Load Applet. To add this applet to a Panel, right-click on the Panel and choose Applets->Monitors->CPULoad Load Average Applet. To add this applet to a Panel, right-click on the Panel and choose Applets->Monitors->Load Average Memory Applet. To add this applet to a Panel, right-click on the Panel and choose Applets->Monitors->MemLoad Net Applet. To add this applet to a Panel, right-click on the Panel and choose Applets->Monitors->NetLoad Swap Applet. To add this applet to a Panel, right-click on the Panel and choose Applets->Monitors->SwapLoad OPTIONS
--activate-goad-server (Internal use only) GOAD server ID to activate GOAD_ID may be: multiload_cpuload_applet start the cpu applet. multiload_loadavg_applet start the load average applet. multiload_memload_applet start the memory applet. multiload_netload_applet start the net applet. multiload_swapload_applet start the swap applet. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 10 februar 2002 MULTILOAD_APPLET(1)