Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) I need your input apple people. Post 44787 by ora on Wednesday 10th of December 2003 08:05:16 PM
Old 12-10-2003
Yeah jeromaet, true. Jaguar (10.2) was tcsh but panther is bash.
Yahoo group looks cool, but also try macosx.com (great discussion site) and apple discussion (on apple site under support) if you have questions.
I've got the older 12" powerbook (867mhz) and i really like it. If you go for the ibook you'll want to get as much RAM as possible (640mb like i have). Problem with this is that in the machine you get 2x128mb and you have to throw one away to upgrade! You can avoid this, though, by getting the machine off the applestore website which allows free customization, so you save money. Also, i would HIGHLY recommend upgrading the hard drive to at least 40gb (is only £20 extra, prob same in $). I only have 40gb, and its almost full (half music half program and documents), and its harder to upgrade laptop hard drives later.
On the ibook, you only get vga/svideo/composite outs, no digital outs, so you can't use the newer flatscreens. You don't get bluetooth either, but on the other hand, no portable is going to last that long, and wont keep up with games/video programs for very long, so why spend the extra on the powerbook. I got mine while the ibook was still G3, so it was a different decision.
Personally, i think you get a slightly better product all round with the powerbook because they always pay more attention to building the 'pro' rather than 'consumer' machines.

Last, and most important: The powerbook is a Rev B machine (2nd version of that model) while the ibook is Rev A (first ever G4 powerbook), and the Rev A machines nearly always have bugs. My powerbook is Rev A (867 not 1Ghz), and has well known heat and warping problems that are not present with the Rev B machine (my mum has one). I've had other Rev A machines before (original iMac, original G4 tower) and they've been the same. I'd be worried about the same happening with the new ibook, those portable G4 chips run very hot, and that plastic case is more insulating than my aluminum one.

Goodl luck choosing and have fun with whatever mac you get. Come visit on macosx.com.

ora

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

Input data control (need some adviced from other people)

This is the situation. I'm in doubt where to integeate some functions for taking user input which then must be transfered in the production database. I usually tend put everything in frontend application so database can be just a database, no other functions except storing and fetching data on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies
WBWD(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   WBWD(4)

NAME
wbwd -- device driver for watchdog timer found on Winbond Super I/O chips SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device wbwd Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): wbwd_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The wbwd driver provides watchdog(4) support for the watchdog interrupt timer present on at least the following Winbond Super I/O chips: o 83627HF/F/HG/G Rev. G o 83627HF/F/HG/G Rev. J o 83627HF/F/HG/G Rev. UD-A o 83627DHG IC ver. 5 SYSCTL VARIABLES
The wbwd driver provides the following options as sysctl(8) variables. dev.wbwd.0.timeout_override This variable allows to program the timer to a value independent on the one provided by the watchdog(4) framework while still relying on the regular updates from e.g. watchdogd(8). This is particularly useful if your system provides multiple watchdogs and you want them to fire in a special sequence to trigger an NMI after a shorter period than the reset timeout for example. The value set must not be lower than the sleep time of watchdogd(8). A value of 0 disables this feature and the timeout value provided by watchdog(4) will be used. dev.wbwd.0.debug_verbose If set this sysctl will tell the driver to log its current state before and after the timer reset on each invocation from watchdog(9) to the kernel message buffer for debugging. dev.wbwd.0.debug This read-only value gives the state of some registers on last update. The wbwd driver also provides further sysctl options that are hidden by default. See the source code for more information. SEE ALSO
watchdog(4), device.hints(5), watchdog(8), watchdogd(8), watchdog(9) HISTORY
The wbwd driver first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 28, 2012 BSD