Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Log Rotation Tool/Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Log Rotation Tool/Script Post 44775 by Optimus_P on Wednesday 10th of December 2003 04:13:35 PM
Old 12-10-2003
all you need to do is check the file size and or date of the log you want to rotate.

@log=qw(/var/adm/messages /var/log/syslog);
if (file to big || is not from today) {then move it or something;}

its actually alot easier then it might sound.
post where you are stuck.

linux and any enterprise OS should have something to rotate the logs automaticly via cron.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Log rotation on HP-UX

Can anyone post a sample log rotate and archive configuration on HP-UX? I really don't know how to do that... :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: untamed
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation

Hello all. Due to some reason I can not use HUP to rotate needed log files. So I use the standard method: cp $file $file.1 cat /dev/null > $file But if Java application in this time writing the output to $file, in the beginning of it appears many "^@^@^@^@^@^@". How to avoid it? Or how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log rotation script

I have the below script to help with disk space cleanup that finds logs older than a specified number of days (say 10 days). I need it to grab "active" logs as well. Problem is an "active log" will not get archived unless I put in 0 days which I don't want to do, I need to leave the past 10 days,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theninja
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log rotation issue with script

I have application which to the heavy stdout and I have diverted the stdout to log file. this log file is writing very heavily and we have a script which rotates the logs. logic for rotation is smthing like cp logfile logfile.1 cat /dev/null > logfile this logic was working fine till we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navinmistry
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Log rotation, twice

hi folk, need advise regarding the log rotation, i have the logadm set at 30 2 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm so it supposed to rotate once per day, but now it rotated twice! but someone my log will rotate at 2:30 AM, but then another 2 hours later, it creates a new and rotate a new log again,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Rotation

Hi Guys, Good morning, I just want to know and collect ideas on this one. Regarding rotation of logs as I've observed it's not consistently functioning. I have a server with 8 Partitions, each partition has a dedicated directory for the logs that is needed and I set it every 5mins (300secs) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Log rotation

Hi All! I seem to have a problem with log rotation, unless I am doing something wrong, I have type the following command for testing purposes to see if the -s option works but he did not: logadm -w /var/adm/messages -C 8 -c -s 512k -t '/var/adm/messages.$n' -z 1 the file is now at this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log rotation script

I have an application that rotate its log once it reaches 100mb and it keeps a total of 24 logs. I am trying to write a script to run daily to tar up the previous day logs files and move them to a different directory. here is a long listing of the logs in the directory: -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
6 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Mavericks log rotation

In Mavericks, Apple has apparently moved control of log rotation to ASL. There's a 'ttl' value to determine how long log files will stick around for. I can compress them, change the way they're named, limit them by size, etc. But the one thing I cannot find is how to NOT keep one log file per... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
0 Replies

10. AIX

Log rotation in PowerHA7

Hi All, I have a situation here ... HACMP is configured with application monitoring script, which is generating messages .... which is running every minute ... And every minute when monitoring script run, one one log file is generating .... and this log file is rotating ... which is rotating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linux.amrit
1 Replies
ds.log(4)							   File Formats 							 ds.log(4)

NAME
ds.log - Availability Suite data services log file DESCRIPTION
The /var/adm/ds.log file contains the Availability Suite data services command log. The administration commands log activities to the file in the format: date time product: message Note that when the size of the log file exceeds 10 Mbytes, ds.log is renamed /var/adm/ds.log.bak and a new /var/adm/ds.log file is cre- ated. The ds.log fields are: date The date format is mmm nn, where mmm is the local three-character abbreviation for the month and nn is the day of the month on which the event occurred. time The time of the event, in hh:mm:ss format. product A product code that identifies which component of the data services produced the event. The code is separated from the message that follows by a colon (:) and a space. message A message that can extend over more than one line describing the event that occurred. The second or following lines are not pre- fixed by the date, time, and product code strings. EXAMPLES
The example below shows sample ds.log file content: Jan 25 05:26:17 ii: iiboot suspend cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:02 ii: iiboot resume cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigmaster Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigshadow Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/mstvxfs Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/master01 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Architecture | x86 | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWscmu | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), sndradm(1M), svadm(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 08 Jun 2007 ds.log(4)