Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Translate date value to normal date and backwards. Post 44713 by Frederik on Wednesday 10th of December 2003 02:44:16 AM
Old 12-10-2003
Thanks a lot for de codes.
In all the codes where usefull parts.
my script is working.

Tanks,Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

a simple way of converting a date in seconds to normal date

Hi all! I'm working on a HPUX system, and I was wondering if there is a simple way to convert a date from seconds (since 1970) to a normal date. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: travian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate decimal into date

Hello, what can I do to convert a decimal number (001-366) into the day of the year it represent in the format of mm-dd-yyyy ? I know about the date +%j, it gives me the number for the current date, what about a reverse of this, is there such a thing? My number resides in a var, what can I do to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date One Week Ago From Given Date, Not From Current Date

Hi all, I've used various scripts in the past to work out the date last week from the current date, however I now have a need to work out the date 1 week from a given date. So for example, if I have a date of the 23rd July 2010, I would like a script that can work out that one week back was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

expr to translate the date command

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. Write a script called "tod" that will display the time of day in am or pm notation rather then the 24 hour clock time. Use expr to convert from 24-hour clock time. Use... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxtraining
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a date to friday date and finding Min/Max date

Dear all, I have 2 questions. I have a file with many rows which has date of the format YYYYMMDD. 1. I need to change the date to that weeks friday date(Ex: 20120716(monday) to 20120720). Satuday/Sunday has to be changed to next week friday date too. 2. After converting the date to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Time Zone Conversion (backwards of what I want)

I am trying to convert local time to time in Ireland. Instead it is going the opposite direction (taking the local time as it if were in Ireland and displaying that the time would be here). $ echo "$TZ"; date; date --date='TZ="Europe/Dublin" '"$(date)" America/Phoenix Mon, Apr 13, 2015... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date: invalid date trying to set Linux date in specific format

i try to set linux date & time in specific format but it keep giving me error Example : date "+%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" or date +"%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" keep giving me this error : date: invalid date ‘19-01-2017 00:05:01' Please use CODE tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

Can someone help me with the code wherein there is a file f1.txt with different column and 34 column have expiry date and I need to get that and compare with system date and if expiry date is <system date remove those rows and other rows should be moved to new file f2.txt . I don't want to delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuti
2 Replies

10. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

I m working on shell scripting and I m stuck where in my .txt file there is column as expiry date and I need to compare that date with system date and need to remove all the rows where expiry date is less than system date and create a new .txt with update. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stuti
1 Replies
catch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  catch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?resultVarName? ?optionsVarName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero (0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the resultVarName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in resultVarName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If the optionsVarName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to a dictionary of return options returned by evaluation of | script. Tcl specifies two entries that are always defined in the dictionary: -code and -level. When the return code from evaluation of | script is not TCL_RETURN, the value of the -level entry will be 0, and the value of the -code entry will be the same as the return code. | Only when the return code is TCL_RETURN will the values of the -level and -code entries be something else, as further described in the doc- | umentation for the return command. | When the return code from evaluation of script is TCL_ERROR, three additional entries are defined in the dictionary of return options | stored in optionsVarName: -errorinfo, -errorcode, and -errorline. The value of the -errorinfo entry is a formatted stack trace containing | more information about the context in which the error happened. The formatted stack trace is meant to be read by a person. The value of | the -errorcode entry is additional information about the error stored as a list. The -errorcode value is meant to be further processed by | programs, and may not be particularly readable by people. The value of the -errorline entry is an integer indicating which line of script | was being evaluated when the error occurred. The values of the -errorinfo and -errorcode entries of the most recent error are also avail- | able as values of the global variables ::errorInfo and ::errorCode respectively. | Tcl packages may provide commands that set other entries in the dictionary of return options, and the return command may be used by scripts | to set return options in addition to those defined above. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } There are more complex examples of catch usage in the documentation for the return command. SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), dict(n), error(n), return(n), tclvars(n) KEYWORDS
catch, error Tcl 8.5 catch(n)