Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Resources?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Resources? Post 44519 by kduffin on Monday 8th of December 2003 08:48:14 AM
Old 12-08-2003
From the fflush man page:

fflush() causes any unwritten data for that stream to be written to the file, and the st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the underlying file are marked for update.

In the past, I've typically masked each fflush by using a local subroutine that takes the same input as fprintf, but also does the flush - keeps the code readable if fprintf(s) abound.

Cheers,

Keith

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VI hogging system resources???

Hello all. I was on my pc last night when I noticed that my hard drive light was on and when I typed in "uptime" I recieved some crazy load averages. load average: 3.30, 3.07, 2.95. Anyway I type in "top" to see what processes are being the resource hogs and im surprised as hell to see that one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThePreacher
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looking for utility to monitor system resources

Hi Community, I'm looking for a linux based utility for monitoring following system resources 1. Memory 2. CPU Usage I know there are plenty freewares which poll the data and print in form of html pages. For eg. MRTG, Novel's Linux Monitoring tools etc. But my requirement is deviated a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilgurwara
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Xorg is taking System Resources.

Hi All, I am facing System Speed problem.i saw in top command Xorg process was taking most of the time 20% of CPU and Memory.How to make it normal. Currently i am using AMD Athlon 64 HT technology processor(Socket 939) 512 DDR1 RAM Nvidia 5200 GeForce 128 MB Graphic card. i need help in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
2 Replies
fflush(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						fflush(3C)

NAME
fflush - flush a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fflush(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
If stream points to an output stream or an update stream in which the most recent operation was not input, fflush() causes any unwritten data for that stream to be written to the file, and the st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the underlying file are marked for update. If stream points to an input stream or an update stream into which the most recent operation was input, that stream is flushed if it is seekable and is not already at end-of-file. Flushing an input stream discards any buffered input and adjusts the file pointer such that the next input operation accesses the byte after the last one read. A stream is seekable if the underlying file is not a pipe, FIFO, socket, or TTY device. If stream is a null pointer, fflush() performs this flushing action on all streams for which the behavior is defined above. An input stream, seekable or non-seekable, can be flushed by explicitly calling fflush() with a non-null argument specifying that stream. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fflush() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns EOF and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The fflush() function will fail if: EAGAIN The O_NONBLOCK flag is set for the file descriptor underlying stream and the process would be delayed in the write operation. EBADF The file descriptor underlying stream is not valid. EFBIG An attempt was made to write a file that exceeds the maximum file size or the process's file size limit; or the file is a regular file and an attempt was made to write at or beyond the offset maximum associated with the corresponding stream. EINTR The fflush() function was interrupted by a signal. EIO The process is a member of a background process group attempting to write to its controlling terminal, TOSTOP is set, the process is neither ignoring nor blocking SIGTTOU, and the process group of the process is orphaned. ENOSPC There was no free space remaining on the device containing the file. EPIPE An attempt is made to write to a pipe or FIFO that is not open for reading by any process. A SIGPIPE signal will also be sent to the calling process. The fflush() function may fail if: ENXIO A request was made of a non-existent device, or the request was beyond the limits of the device. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2), ulimit(2), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2003 fflush(3C)