Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need Help with Awd/sort commands Post 44461 by dangral on Saturday 6th of December 2003 06:07:51 PM
Old 12-06-2003
Sounds like this may be a more appropriate question for your teacher...I'm sure if you use the Search function of this website you'll come up with something. If it's not homework, can you be more specfic as to what your needs are?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

2. AIX

How to use cat and sort commands combinations?

Hi, I need to get five names as input and sort it. It has to be done in the command level only. It should not read from any files. I tried with many combinations. I didnt get it. I can able to get the input using cat > sample jik njvi abifj ...like this and i dont know how to sort... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yamini Thoppen
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Sort, Cut, and Awk commands

Hello, I am trying, utilizing the few commands I know, to extract all records within my file that were generated in November of 2007. Each record within the file has a "date" field giving the month, day, and year (9-8-88). How do I extract those records to their own file? Once I extract... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babbabooey
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending output of program into subsequent commands (i.e. awk/sort)

Hi, I have identified how to use command chaining as per below on a file, to capture the header of a file, as well as the line containing the C: drive. $ cat test.txt Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on rootfs 237G 153G 84G 65% / none 237G 153G 84G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
6 Replies
TWIGLET(1)							   User's Manual							TWIGLET(1)

NAME
twiglet - observe or control an RVC-enabled machine's console SYNOPSIS
twiglet [OPTION]... host-specification DESCRIPTION
twiglet is a program for controlling another machine's console. It works using the RVC protocol, and an RVC server (such as rvcd(1)) must be running on the machine to be observed. Using twiglet, the a best effort attempt is made to duplicate the screen contents of the observed machine. If the machine is displaying a virtual text console, the text on the console is rendered in the terminal in which twiglet runs. If the machine is displaying an X ses- sion, and the RVC server supports VNC integration, twiglet will open a window that contains the current contents of the X display. It is also possible to control the observed machine in various ways. With keyboard control enabled (and with support from the RVC server), keys may be sent to the observed machine in text console mode almost as if they were typed from the keyboard. Twiglet also supports switching virtual console on the observed machine. Finally, if VNC integration is available, the X display can be manipulated almost as if the user were at the console. The intended use for twiglet is in training and teaching environments. The idea is that there are student machines and a control machine (which the trainer or teacher would be using), with a serial line attached to each student machine. The trainer or teacher can then ana- lyse the students' attempts to complete tasks, and help them out (showing them how to finish it) without needed to push them aside to get to the keyboard. This client is written using ncurses(3X). OPTIONS
--help display a help message and exit successfully --version display a version number and exit successfully -c, --control control the remote machine rather than just observing it -e xy, --escape xy set the escape character and the escape escape character (like screen(1)) The host-specification takes one of the following forms: host:port to connect to an RVC server over TCP tty [host] to communicate with an RVC server over a tty (for example a serial line); the optional hostname is for VNC integration BUGS
I'm sure there are bugs, but I don't know what they are. AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> VTGRAB
20 Sep 2000 TWIGLET(1)