Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Format Problem with vim
Top Forums Programming Format Problem with vim Post 44077 by cbkihong on Saturday 29th of November 2003 04:32:28 AM
Old 11-29-2003
I believe smartindent is what you need. Try to enter the command

set smartindent

and see if this is what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

format problem

hey everyone, Im making a program that prints different patterns using * like this: * *** ***** ******* ***** *** * i am letting the user decide what the number of rows can be, i want the shape to appear on the left (60 spaces from the right) if it is even and on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV format problem

studentNo=$1 tmp=/tmp/acc2courses$ID.$$ grep -w "$studentNo" CSE1001 >/dev/null 2>&1 && echo CSE1001 >>$tmp grep -w "$studentNo" CSE1002 >/dev/null 2>&1 && echo CSE1002 >>$tmp grep -w "$studentNo" CSE9001 >/dev/null 2>&1 && echo CSE9001 >>$tmp This is my code, The output in tmp file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim problem

Can someone explain me why sometimes the cursor can not be moved to needed position? for example: mysql -u root db -sBe "ALTER TABLE $i ENGINE=$ENGINE"; echo -e "${GG}OK${BB}"; In this line I can not go to position after $i, why? This is not first time I see such issue. "INSERT" pressed :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail format problem:

i need to send 2 diff mail in a single script:Below the script #!/bin/ksh echo "enter the number" read num if then mail -s "test" unix@yahoo.com mail -s "test" 9886767000@nma.vodafone.in,9916138003@nma.vodafone.in else echo "test again" fi... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encountering problem with vim

while entering into vim insert mode some garbage is getting printed in to the file could some one help to avoid this . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format problem

can any one know that how can i get perfect format of phone number my function is phone_number=`echo $name_number | awk '{print $NF}'` check=`echo $phone_number | egrep -c "--"` i get the format but if i need perfect format like xxx-xxx-xxxx. if i enter not in this format it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunsavalia
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem to map VIM cursor moving in InsertMode

Hi all What I want? I want in Insert mode, press Alt-hjkl move cursor, and then back to insert mode. I know ctrl-o, hjkl can do the job. but everytime I want to move, i have to press ctrl-o, or I have to count how many hjkl I will do, do a C-O (n)hjkl. What I tried (example only with 'j')... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk1418
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim Match problem

Goodmorning, I've some problem in using regular expression in a VIM syntax configuration file. I've need to match a string as <<< some to match >>> so that it matches only some to match . With standard regular expression i know that for this goal works fine the regex: (?<=<{3}).*(?=>{3}) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keltron
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Format Problem

I have written a code in Linux environment which compares two dates and print "correct" if 1st date is less than 2nd date. But when I'm running the same code in SunOS environment, "date -d is an illegal format" is the error it is throwing. How different should my code be so that it executes well in... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chandan_Bose
18 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)