Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing lines in a text file. Post 43928 by Ygor on Tuesday 25th of November 2003 09:19:17 AM
Old 11-25-2003
Using awk to print lines where column 24 is not null...
Code:
awk -F, '$24' file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing the first and last lines in a file

Hi Gurus, I'm a little new to UNIX. How can I do remove the first and last line in a file? Say, supppose I have a file as below: Code: 1DMA 400002BARRIE 401002CALGARY/LETHBRI 402002CARLETON 500001PORTLAND-AUBRN 501001NEW YORK, NY 502001BINGHAMTON, NY ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
2 Replies

2. Solaris

removing particular lines ending with a .cnt extension in a text file

I have a text file with rows of information (it is basically a ls command information(o/p from ls command)) I need to remove the lines ending with a .cnt extension and keep the lines ending with .zip extension, how to accomplish this. I also only need the date,size and name of the file from every... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing multiple lines of text in a file

Hi, I'm trying to remove multiple lines of text based off a series of different words and output it to a new file The document contains a ton of data but i want to delete any line that has the following mx1.rr.biz.com or ns2.ri.biz.com i tried using grep -v filename "mx1.rr.biz.com" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Lines From a File

Hi Does anybody know of a command that will enable me to remove all entries in a file that have the format (name & time) more testfile anthony 2003 anthonyr 2008 amorel 15:00 anthonyp 14:35 anthonyp 14:35 anthonyr 2008 ardean 13:28 arlene 2003 arlenem 08:15 arlenem 08:15... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing lines at the end of a text file

How do you remove trailing empty lines at the end of a text file? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines without text

How do I remove line that do not contain text, but that do contain tabs? I have tried the command cat file | awk NF but that doesn't work when the lines contain tabs (and spaces). I have also tried: cat file | sed '/^$/d' (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing md5sum lines stored in text file

Hello. I'm writing a script where every file you create will generate a md5sum and store it into a text file. Say I create 2 files, it'll look like this in the text file: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /helloworld/saystheman d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /helloworld/test I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batarangs_
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)