Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VI Question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VI Question Post 4372 by JHeliosfear on Tuesday 24th of July 2001 04:01:04 PM
Old 07-24-2001
Bug

Hello, how are you doing? In order to delete the first carrot of every line, do the following:

cut -c -d2- oldfilename> new file name

e.g. cut -c -d2- JHeliosfear > JHeliosfear2

What you should now be left with is the second character of every line onward. I hope this resolves your issue...:-)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Yet Another Question

Now that I have getch() to work, I have yet another problem. BTW, thank you for answering these questions, I do ask a lot, only because I am eager to know, what is a board used for anyways :) Ok, he's the problem... #include iostream.h #include conio.h int main() { char movement; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbolthouse
2 Replies

2. Solaris

vi question

Im trying to edit a 113 meg file in VI and i get the error TMP FILE TOO LARGE. Does someone know how to get around this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv question

Hello if I like to move file from defined directories system to new directory that not contained any directories system structure . But I like to create the same file system structure as source directory for example : I have 2 directories: foo1 and foo2 foo1 have directories and foo2 have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question

hallo, ik heb hier een vraagje. hoeveel gebruikers kunnen er op 1 unix systeem. hopelijk antwoorden golle nu want ik moet da vinde voor school en die leerkracht zaagt. :p groetjes eu wacht wa was mijne nick ah ja vraagje groetjes vraagje ik kan geen engels dus antwoord liever in het... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vraagje
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about wc

Hey my friend was asking me if i knew a way to cout how many different words in a file. I told him no not off hand, but i was thinking about it, and i started to wonder also. I imagine this is probably pretty simple im just missing something, I keep confusing my self with how you would compair and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodadbl07
16 Replies

6. Hardware

question

How to add 3 moniters to a pc set up? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clicstic
2 Replies

7. AIX

df question

Hi, Can anyone please explain a little about df command. I have following question: Following example is showing % used as 4 where as total free blocks are 15.46 out of 16.00 MB blocks. df -m /test Filesystem MBblocks Free %Used Iused %Iused ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsabhi9
5 Replies
capsar(1)						      General Commands Manual							 capsar(1)

Name
       capsar - prepares documents not in ASCII format for transport in the mail system

Syntax
       capsar [-c] [-t] [-x[hTD]] [file]

Description
       The  utility  allows  ULTRIX mail to support documents containing non-ASCII data, such as DDIF.	Only the DDIF and DOTS data types are cur-
       rently supported.  DDIF is Digital's standard format for document interchange. DOTS is an encapsulation of the encoded interchange form	of
       a number of related data objects into a single composite object.  For more information, see and

The utility prepares a DOTS file or a DDIF document for transport in the mail system by performing the following steps:

1)    The DDIF document is converted to DOTS format.  As a DDIF document may contain more than one file, all files within the DDIF document
	     are incorporated into one DOTS file which can be sent as one mail message.

2)    Each DOTS file is then compressed and encoded using only printing ASCII characters.   This is because ULTRIX mail software only  sup-
	     ports 7 bit mail.

3)    The  routine  encapsulates  coded	documents by adding leading and trailing lines, each surrounded by a <CR>.  The lines should begin
	     with 2 or more dashes (-) and some text that indicates the nature of the encapsulated message. The following is  a  typical  encapsu-
	     lated mail message:
	     To: anybody@anynode
	     Cc:
	     Subject: Another DDIF document

-----------motd.ddif : DOTS.ctod.compress.uuencode message

begin 0 motd.ddif
	     M__]@*" ,(" !BO.#P$# 8$* &UO=&0N9&1I9H0$)%546     "A@"B !@8K
	     MS@ P$''T1$248M96YC;V1E9"!R979I<V%B;&4@9&]C=6UE;G2@@/__?X"@
	     M@( ! 8$! ((/1$1)1B1?4D5!1%]415A4HX#)% !$1$E&(%1E>'0@1G)O;G0@

end

-----------End of motd.ddif : DOTS.ctod.compress.uuencode message
	     The command can also extract different parts of a mail message, namely, the header information, the text part of the message, and the
	     DOTS file that was encapsulated as described above.

Extracting the DOTS file is done by parsing the mail message and detecting the leading and trailing encapsulation boundaries.  Decoding and
       uncompressing the data results in the original DOTS file.

The utility is built into Rand MH to provide DDIF mail support.	It can, however, be used with mail.

Options
       -c   Causes to create an encapsulated DOTS bodypart from file. The file must be a DOTS/DDIF type document.

-t   Causes to write to the standard output the message type of file. Message type can be either text or DOTS.

-xh  Extracts  the mail header lines from file.	The header line must be at the beginning of the file and separated from the remaining text
	    by a <CR> or <CRLF>.  Each header line is a string containing a header field name (for example, Subject), a colon  (:),  one  or  more
	    spaces,  and  a  field  value.  Each header line may have embedded continuation sequences it it (for example, LF followed by spaces or
	    tabs).

-xT  Extracts all the text parts of the mail message in file to the standard output.

-xD  Extracts any DOTS bodyparts in file. The DOTS document is sent to the standard output.  This is the reverse of the -c option above.

The file must be specified for the -c option.  If file is not specified with the -x or -t option then the standard input is used.

Examples
       The following are examples of how to use the command:

Encapsulates a DDIF document
       capsar -c file.ddif | more

Lists the header line from the mail message
       capsar -xh file.mail

Extracts the encapsulated DOTS file from the file
       capsar -xD file > file.dots

or

capsar -xD file | dtoc

In order to mail a DDIF/DOTS document you can use one of the following:
       capsar -c file.ddif | mail -s "subject" address

capsar -c file.ddif | mhmail -subject "subject" address

Use the second command if you are using RAND mh.

A DOTS file is extracted from dxmail first extracting the message into a file. The dxmail utility has an extract feature built in so  isn't
       needed.

See Also
       compress(1), ctod(1), dtoc(1), mail(1), mh(1mh), mhmail(1mh), uuencode(1), vdoc(1), prompter(1mh), DDIF(5), DOTS(5)

capsar(1)