Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to cat a file , name starts with "-" ? Post 43355 by HikerLT on Sunday 16th of November 2003 07:09:59 AM
Old 11-16-2003
Found answer, thanks for help

Thanks for the help on this. I finally found ( or stumbled across) the answer by looking in the "man rm" , where it says that following the rm command with the "--" means it treats what follows that as a filename, allowing the filename to start with the hyphen.

Is the hyphen a "special character " ? I don't see it listed as such in the lists of special characters.....???

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep/cat/more -- search in a txt file and display content from a specific "keyword"

Hi, I have a .txt file Sample: ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 ip access-list extended BLA_Incoming_Filter ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx access-list 2 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =====================... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat Command on File not printing "Blank" Lines?

Hello All, I have a bash script and in it at some point I call an Expect Script that does some stuff and saves its output in a ".txt" file. Example "/path/to/my/file/Expect_Output.txt" file: notice the 2nd line is empty in the file... Data for Host-1 (192.168.1.110) Checking the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file that starts with "-"

Hi I am downloading some files from the Internet. They are from different sources and they are all called -.txt that is: a dash "-" followed by a dot "." and then the file extension. So i wrote a small script that hoped will downloads the first file and then rename them once they are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: "mkdir -p" doesn't work with var(cat x)

Hello, :) I've an issue with the creation of a directory, All work without it :mad: So, below, my scripts with the debug output : #!/bin/bash # PATHS HOME_BACKUP="/home/backup" HOME_SCRIPT="/home/scripts/test/backup_server" TARGET="/var/www" # DATE DATE_Ymd=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
PATHCHK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						PATHCHK(1)

NAME
pathchk -- check pathnames SYNOPSIS
pathchk [-pP] pathname ... DESCRIPTION
The pathchk utility checks whether each of the specified pathname arguments is valid or portable. A diagnostic message is written for each argument that: o Is longer than PATH_MAX bytes. o Contains any component longer than NAME_MAX bytes. (The value of NAME_MAX depends on the underlying file system.) o Contains a directory component that is not searchable. It is not considered an error if a pathname argument contains a nonexistent component as long as a component by that name could be created. The options are as follows: -p Perform portability checks on the specified pathname arguments. Diagnostic messages will be written for each argument that: o Is longer than _POSIX_PATH_MAX (255) bytes. o Contains a component longer than _POSIX_NAME_MAX (14) bytes. o Contains any character not in the portable filename character set (that is, alphanumeric characters, '.', '-' and '_'). No com- ponent may start with the hyphen ('-') character. -P In addition to the default or -p checks, write a diagnostic for each argument that: o Is empty. o Contains a component that starts with a hyphen. EXIT STATUS
The pathchk utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Check whether the names of files in the current directory are portable to other POSIX systems: find . -exec pathchk -p -- {} + SEE ALSO
getconf(1), pathconf(2), stat(2) STANDARDS
The pathchk utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A pathchk utility appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BSD
May 1, 2010 BSD