Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: umount help
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users umount help Post 43305 by Perderabo on Friday 14th of November 2003 03:58:39 PM
Old 11-14-2003
Look in /etc/vfstab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount

:confused: Twofold question for you unix "guru's" 1) When attempting to use the umount command I get a message stating that the partition that I want to unmount is busy. Is there another command that I need to use prior to the umount command to clear the partition of activity????? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rod23
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount error

the program as follow: mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt cd /mnt touch file1 cat /file2 >/mnt/file1 umount /dev/fd135ds18 when error tell device busy could you tell me the reason? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fresh
1 Replies

3. Solaris

umount is failing

I am trying to umount a NFS share. When I do the following: # umount syrupg21 umount: /oebs/syrupg21: device is busy device bussy so I like to check what is working on the system.... # fuser -muv /oebs/syrupg21/ # So no locks should be there... any clue? Regards, Johan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntac
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to umount CDRom

Hi, I am writing a multi-cd spanning installer for a particular software in Linux (Redhat 4 or greater / Suse ) My Program is in Java. A Shell Script is used to fork the java process. I found out that when the Installer tries to go to the next disc when prompted so, by the installer, the eject... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiju.jacob
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to force umount

sorry, wrong section, mod please close thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertngo
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Is it really impossible to force umount on HP-UX

Hello, yeah... here my question : Exist some way to force umount on HP other than reboot? Thanks gb (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
12 Replies

7. Linux

Is umount -l dangerous?

I had a umount busy issue, that the usual fuser -mk did not solve, I did a umount -l and was able to unmount the device, I then got in trouble by the storage team staff: Here was a snippet of their response: Using "umount -l" is a potentially dangerous act. The command combination for a lazy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pastajet
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umount CIFS

hi guys I have to umount a CIFS from a Windows machine...but it's been imposible there is one special task /sbin/umount.cifs /mondobackup that task cannot be kill...so I cannot umount the unit any idea how to kill this and umount this CIFS share? by the way I've tried umount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
5 Replies

10. Linux

Umount is not reflecting in losetup.

Hi, initially i will mount a image using loop device using below command mount -n -o loop,noatime,ro -t squashfs /mnt/fsh/bt.img /opt/app/test then "mount" reflects with below /dev/loop0 on /opt/app/test type squashfs (ro,noatime) i will then umount using below commnd, umount is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
0 Replies
mountdtab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      mountdtab(4)

NAME
mountdtab - Table of local file systems mounted by remote NFS clients SYNOPSIS
/etc/mountdtab DESCRIPTION
The mountdtab file resides in the /etc directory and contains a list of all remote hosts that have mounted local file systems using the NFS protocols. Whenever a client performs a remote mount, the server machine's mount daemon makes an entry in the server machine's mountdtab file. The umount command instructs the server's mount daemon to remove the entry. The umount -b command broadcasts to all servers and informs them that they should remove all entries from mountdtab created by the sender of the broadcast message. By placing an umount -b command in a system startup file, mountdtab tables on NFS servers can be purged of entries made by a crashed client, who, upon rebooting, did not remount the same file systems that it had before the system crashed. Tru64 UNIX systems automatically call umount -b at system startup The format for entries in the mountdtab file is as follows: hostname:directory Rather than rewrite the mountdtab file on each umount request, the mount daemon comments out unmounted entries by placing a number sign (#) in the first character position of the appropriate line. The mount daemon rewrites the entire file, without commented out entries, no more frequently than every 30 minutes. The frequency depends on the occurrence of umount requests. The mountdtab table is used only to preserve information between crashes and is read only by the mountd daemon when it starts up. The mountd daemon keeps an in-core table, which it uses to handle requests from programs like showmount and shutdown. RESTRICTIONS
Although the mountdtab table is close to the truth, it may contain erroneous information if NFS client machines fail to execute a umount -a command when they reboot. RELATED INFORMATION
mount(8), umount(8), mountd(8), showmount(8), shutdown(8) delim off mountdtab(4)