Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shrinking a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shrinking a file Post 43035 by Ygor on Monday 10th of November 2003 09:14:17 AM
Old 11-10-2003
I think that I would do two passes of the data file. First to find all types that occur more that 100 times...
Code:
awk '
  /^03/ { a[substr($0,12,5)]++ }
  END { for(i in a) if(a[i]>100) print i }
  ' data_file > tmp_file

And then a second pass to filter out data records...
Code:
awk '
  BEGIN { srand; while(getline < "tmp_file") a[i++]=$1 }
  /^03/ { f=0; for(i in a) if(substr($0,12,5)==a[i]) f=1 }
  /^03/ || f==0 || f==1 && rand*100<2
  ' data_file > new_data_file

Hope that this will get you programming in awk.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

2. AIX

shrinking filesystem error

Hi Guys, probably a standard issue, so what do I miss here? Error message: > chfs -a size=-128M /export/nim/aix/5300-10 chfs: 0506-964 There is not enough free space to shrink the file system. df shows 0.75GB free > df -g . Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raba
7 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Consolidating Freespace to allow shrinking partition?

i have an "old" laptop with 84gb used space, 203gb free, running 32bit Windows Vista. i've tried all defragmenting programs i could find and though some offer Free Space Defrag, they don't seem to take into account where on the disk to consolidates the space to. what i am trying to achieve is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sterist
4 Replies

4. Linux

About shrinking LVM and then adding the freed space to another OS on dualboot system

Hi all, Fedora 17, 64bit Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit HD 160G I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the HD first taking up the whole disc. Later I added/installed Fedora 17 selecting the "Shrink" option and save the bootloader on /dev/sda1 to make them dualboot. Installation is successful with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Shrinking zpool

Hello experts, I have a solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10 Generic_148888-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise) that by mistake I added a second san space of 700g to the pool. the whole pool is now 1.2T and, I need to take the space away from the pool and, make the pool 700g total. this is live oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shrinking partitions in enterprise

Hello , to invent some software we need to massive shrink system volumes in our company (800 pc windows xp) . For that purpose we are planing to run remotely some linux distro with fdisk script. Some one have similar experience? ? Any information would be helpfull . THanks.;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Y2J
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)