Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers End of line character in BAsh Post 43 by Rukshan on Wednesday 27th of September 2000 10:20:14 PM
Old 09-27-2000
Error

I'm trying to match the end of line character in a shell script under bash. What I have done it got is a loop that reads each line of a file into a temp variable and then I get each letter of that variable and do some work on it. One think I want to do it check if the character I checking if the end of line character.

eg if [ $Letter5 = end of line ]
then
echo $tempWord
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

end of the line character

How do i determine what the end of the line character is in a text file. for eg. is it \n or \f or \t etc.. Is there a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomboo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stripping last character from end of each line

Hi, sorry for being dumb but I have a file with a variable amount of records (day to day it differs) but is fixed at 80 characters wide. Unfortunately the 80th and last charachter in each line is a "^M" carriage return character which i want to get rid of. Is there a really easy command that i can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character from list line (at the end)

Hi, I have file as shown below. abc, def, abc, xyz, I have to remove ',' from end of last line (xyz,). How can I do that with single command? Is it possible or I have to iterate through complete file to remove that? - Malay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting end of line $ character in file

Hi, I've got a file where in the middle of the record is a $ end of line character, visible only when I open the file in vi and do :set list. How to I get rid of the character in the middle and keep it at the end. The middle $ character always appears after SW, so that can be used to tag it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add new line character at the end of a file

hi all, i have this question: How to add new line character at the end of a file???? i need this because i am loading a file to sybase and i have problems with the last record thanks for your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to the end of each line in file

hi all i have 32 lines in file. the length of each line is 82 , i want that in the end of each line , means in postion 83-84 to put two characters 0d(=\015), 0a(=\012) i want that the 0d will be in postion 83 and the 0a will be in postion 84 in each line of the file how shall i do it ? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to every end-of line in file

Hi All I have a file which conatins record.the length of every records is 47. problem : in the end of record i don't have a "\015" character. i want to add this "\015" charcter in the end of every record. the file contains something like 700 records. i've tried with sed command - nothing. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Junk Character appended at the end of a line

Hi All I have a rather unusual problem, which i have not faced till now. I have a script which exports some paths to a text file. The script runs fine but when i check the output file i can see some junk characters ^M appended at end of lines and random places. I am not able to figure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a character at end of line?

Hai, I have got a small requirement in my script. and i am using bash shell. I need to add a dot (.) for some particular line in a file. Say for example, $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2 3 This is line3 O/p should be : $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2. #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivajee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditionally add character at end of line

Hi, I would like have a shell script to check every line in a file to see if it ends with ";". If this is NOT the last character ";" should be added. MyFile.csv : web9331801;01/01/2014 23:39:35;;"93962";353150256; web9331802;01/01/2014 23:44:29;;"479288";353153538; web9331803;01/01/2014... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vg77
14 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)