Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users broadcasting failed 'su root' Post 42941 by Lazzar on Friday 7th of November 2003 09:50:21 AM
Old 11-07-2003
ah i forgot,
its happens with every other user too, not only root.

i'll check RTM's suggestions later, didnt have time yet Smilie

Lazzar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

radio broadcasting

hi I wanna make radio broadcasting from my web page. I am planning to use a linux server. I have no idea about how can I do :( I heard about RealPlayer can be used but ,unfortunatelly, I don't know how! Any suggestions and advices are welcome.... thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

2. Programming

HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C

I am trying to write a client server chat program in C and am unsure as to how I would broadcast all the users IDs over the network. At the moment I have the usernames stored in a array clientsock.cl_id, I am able to output this information to the server but am unsure how to transmit this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dooker
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

5. AIX

Replace a Failed Root Disk in AIX

My root disk is failed and how to replace the root disk in AIX. Can u give a detailed explanation in step wise. Pls give the answer taking different scenarios. Regards Praveen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnu_mulakala
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Help: root partition crashed, fsck failed. Disk problem?

recently this sunfire 280R (solaris 10) is having problme, it was able to boot up, then all suddent, it failed, and I can't even mount the first disk which contains root partition when I boot up from cdrom. 2 X 36G hard drive, I scan first hard drive by "read", there is no bad block. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steeles
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Failed to recover root password in Solaris 10 on Sparc CPU Sun Ultra10

Failed to recover lost root password for Solaris SunSparc (On Sun Ultra10 - SPARC CPU Hardware, not x86 Intel CPU nor x64 AMD CPU) This Sun Ultra10 workstation comes with an old 6-in wafer probing station purchased from a Surplus equipment vendor. Computer: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: fromtexas0
21 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Home broadcasting station

Hi all, I have been searching application for setup a home broadcasting station via Internet. Follows are my search result; Freevo, GeeXboX, Auto-RadioX, Red5, CeBIT, Open Broadcaster etc. I haven't had any experience on their selection. Please shed me some light. Besides where can I find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
3 Replies

10. AIX

Upgrade to TL8 failed: bos.net.NFS.client 6.1.8.1 (usr: COMMITTED, root:

dears i am trying to upgrade the TL from TL7 to TL8 and i facing this issue AIX6.1 << End of Success Section >> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ BUILDDATE Verification ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change login password in Network Information System (NIS) SYNOPSIS
[name] Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality remains the same; only the name has changed. DESCRIPTION
changes or installs a password associated with the login name in the Network Information System (NIS). The NIS password can be different from the one on your own machine. If name is omitted, it defaults to the name returned by (see getlogin(3C)). prompts for the old NIS password (even if it does not exist), then twice for the new one. The old password must be entered correctly for the change to take effect. Checks occur to ensure that the new password meets the following construction requirements. o Only the first eight characters are significant. o A password can be as few as four characters long if it contains o at least one special character or o a mixture of numeric, uppercase and lowercase letters. o A password can be as few as five characters long if it contains a mixture of o uppercase and lowercase letters or o numeric and either uppercase or lowercase letters. o A password must contain at least six characters if it contains only monocase letters. All these rules except the first are relaxed if you try three times to enter an unacceptable new password. You cannot, however, enter a null password. Only the owner of the name or the superuser can change a password. The Network Information System password daemon, must be running on the master NIS password server to change NIS passwords. See yppass- wdd(1M). WARNINGS
The password update protocol passes the old and new passwords to the master NIS server at once. Thus, if the old NIS password is incor- rect, no notification is given until the new NIS password is successfully entered. The password construction rules are different from those of the HP-UX command (see passwd(1)). The root user's password cannot be changed using or Therefore, root users must change their password in the files database and then recon- struct the NIS maps using the command. For more information on how to use the command, see ypmake(1M). User applications that call this routine must be linked with For example, AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
id(1), passwd(1), su(1), yppasswdd(1M), getlogin(3C), yppasswd(3N), ypfiles(4). yppasswd(1)