Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users broadcasting failed 'su root' Post 42844 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 5th of November 2003 10:27:17 AM
Old 11-05-2003
I believe that this may be a security measure by your admin.

I know that my systems when I or someone else mistypes the passwd, it emails a notification to me the SA.

So dont automatically think that it is just for your embarrassment or detriment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

radio broadcasting

hi I wanna make radio broadcasting from my web page. I am planning to use a linux server. I have no idea about how can I do :( I heard about RealPlayer can be used but ,unfortunatelly, I don't know how! Any suggestions and advices are welcome.... thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

2. Programming

HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C

I am trying to write a client server chat program in C and am unsure as to how I would broadcast all the users IDs over the network. At the moment I have the usernames stored in a array clientsock.cl_id, I am able to output this information to the server but am unsure how to transmit this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dooker
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

5. AIX

Replace a Failed Root Disk in AIX

My root disk is failed and how to replace the root disk in AIX. Can u give a detailed explanation in step wise. Pls give the answer taking different scenarios. Regards Praveen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnu_mulakala
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Help: root partition crashed, fsck failed. Disk problem?

recently this sunfire 280R (solaris 10) is having problme, it was able to boot up, then all suddent, it failed, and I can't even mount the first disk which contains root partition when I boot up from cdrom. 2 X 36G hard drive, I scan first hard drive by "read", there is no bad block. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steeles
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Failed to recover root password in Solaris 10 on Sparc CPU Sun Ultra10

Failed to recover lost root password for Solaris SunSparc (On Sun Ultra10 - SPARC CPU Hardware, not x86 Intel CPU nor x64 AMD CPU) This Sun Ultra10 workstation comes with an old 6-in wafer probing station purchased from a Surplus equipment vendor. Computer: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: fromtexas0
21 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Home broadcasting station

Hi all, I have been searching application for setup a home broadcasting station via Internet. Follows are my search result; Freevo, GeeXboX, Auto-RadioX, Red5, CeBIT, Open Broadcaster etc. I haven't had any experience on their selection. Please shed me some light. Besides where can I find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
3 Replies

10. AIX

Upgrade to TL8 failed: bos.net.NFS.client 6.1.8.1 (usr: COMMITTED, root:

dears i am trying to upgrade the TL from TL7 to TL8 and i facing this issue AIX6.1 << End of Success Section >> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ BUILDDATE Verification ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies
halt(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   halt(8)

NAME
halt - Stops the processor SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/halt [-d] [-l] [-n] [-q] [-y] DESCRIPTION
If other users are logged into the system, or if the system is operating at a multiuser run level, use the /usr/sbin/shutdown -h command to halt the system. If only the root user is logged in, and you do not plan to restart the system immediately, use the halt command. The halt command writes data to the disks and then stops the processor(s), but does not reboot the machine. You must be the root user to run this command. When the system displays the ....Halt completed.... message, you can turn off power to the machine. If the command is invoked without the -l, -n, or -q flag, the halt program logs the shutdown using the syslogd command and places a record of the shutdown in the login accounting file, /var/adm/wtmp. Using the -q and the -n flags imply the -l flag. FLAGS
Generates a crash dump of the system before halting it. Can be used with any other flag. Does not log the halt using syslog Prevents the sync before stopping, and does not log the halt using syslog Causes a quick halt, does not log the halt using syslog, and makes no attempt to kill all processes Halts the system from a dial-up operation EXAMPLES
To halt the system without logging the shutdown in the log file, enter: halt -l To halt the system quickly, enter: halt -q To halt the sys- tem quickly, also leaving a crash dump for the savecore command, enter: halt -d -q To halt the system from a dial-up, enter: halt -y FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the syslog daemon Specifies the login accounting file RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fasthalt(8), reboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) Functions: reboot(2), sync(2), syslog(3) delim off halt(8)