Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formfeed after each file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Formfeed after each file Post 42595 by jgordon on Friday 31st of October 2003 08:28:02 AM
Old 10-31-2003
Formfeed after each file

Have a line printer that uses the script /etc/lp/interfaces/citoh script when processing print jobs. I've developed the header so that it will print a page break before the start of each page. When you print single files, this works fine. But, if you print multiple files (e.g. lp -d citoh *.fil), the header is not invoked before each file. Thus, the subsequent files start printing right after the previous file even if it's right in the middle of a page.

I would like to generate a page break after the end of each file. Alternatively, I'd like to invoke the header so that each file name is identified for each printed file.

Thanks in advance

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FormFeed BEFORE printing a job

I have a problem where my printer formfeeds a blank page prior to printing a job. Anyone know where I can turn this off? AIX O/S - RS-6000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lp FormFeed Escape characters

I'm trying to modify the /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard file to generate a header for all the print jobs that are sent, but there is no formfeed defined so the the job prints right after the header with no page break. What is the sequence I need in order to generate a formfeed? Or, do you have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgordon
4 Replies

3. Solaris

formfeed problem

i am running an .sql script in sqlplus which is spooling in a file. but when i am opening the file using vi editor it is showing ^L in front of 1st,2nd and last line. when i am opening the file with cat this problem is not there. how to solve this problem? this above mentioned file is the input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imppayel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk: delete n lines following a formfeed

Hi Members, This is my first post in this forum. I want to do is match form feed lines one by one in a file and delete the next n lines (ex-3 lines) with the form feed character Eg - Files looks like Data 1 Data 2 Data 3 FF Hdr1 Hdr2 Hdr3 Data4 Data5 FF Hdr1 Hdr2 Hdr3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yohan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
pcfof(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  pcfof(8)

NAME
pcfof - Generic print filter for ANSI, PCL, and multi-language PostScript printers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/pcfof +Bbanner-tray +Cfilename.pcf [-n login] [-h host] [...] [accounting-file] OPTIONS
Use of the print options is dependent on the features available on the print device, and on the current status of those features. For example, selection of a particular paper size and orientation requires that appropriate paper is correctly loaded in the paper trays avail- able on the print device. Options in /etc/printcap Specifies the default tray name to select for printing the banner page. For example: :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Bupper +Cln17.pcf: In this example, the banner page will be printed on whatever paper is currently loaded into the upper tray on the selected print device. Specifies the name of the printer configuration file to use for this print job. Specifies the default tray name to select for printing the file. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Iupper +Cln17.pcf: Specifies the default tray name to select for printing the trailer page. For example: :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Tlower +Cln17.pcf: This command is useful of you want to use colored paper as a divider between print jobs. Specifies the default tray name to select to place the printed pages. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +olower +Cln17.pcf: Print Filter Options Specifies the host name of the job owner. Specifies the amount of indentation. This value controls how far the print image appears from the edge of the page. Specifies the login name of the job owner. Specifies the tray where the printed pages are placed. See the -I option for information on printer configuration files. Specifies the page width in columns. Selects printer features but does not perform any file processing. Specifies the tray name from which print paper is selected. To find the available options, view the printer configura- tion file (.pcf file) specified in the /etc/printcap file by the if entry. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cln17.pcf: The ln17.pcf pcf file is located in /usr/lbin/pcf/ln17.pcf. The pcf file header provides additional information on available tray options. Specifies the number of sides to print on each sheet. You can specify sides as follows: Print on one side of the sheet. Print on both sides of the sheet. Specifies options related to page orientation and printing of text files. The option-list argu- ment can include one option or multiple options that are separated by commas (no embedded spaces). The following settings for page orientation are valid for both PostScript or text files: The printed output is parallel to the short side of the page. The printed output is parallel to the long side of the page. The following options are available for printing text (not PostScript) files: Print even numbered pages. Reduce the number of lines on a page to n lines. Print odd numbered pages. Perform codeset conversion if codeset-name is different from the codeset component of the current locale and if the appropriate codeset converter is installed on the system. See iconv_intro(5) for information about codeset conversion. Print the pages of a file within the start and end parameters. When start is not specified, printing starts at page 0. When end is not specified, printing continues to the end of the file. The file header may specify additional printer-specific options. (See the description of the -I option for the location of files.) OPERANDS
Specifies the file in which accounting information will be recorded. DESCRIPTION
The pcfof filter is a generic print filter that can be used with text and PostScript files and handle printer device dependencies. The type of printer that the filter is supporting is determined by the printer configuration file (.pcf file) that is specified by the +C option. The Tru64 UNIX product includes files for a variety of printers. In addition, a template file (/usr/lbin/pcf/template.pcf) is available for the system administrator to customize for use with additional printers. The pcfof filter should be specified for both the of and the if entries in the /etc/printcap file. Use the wwpsof filter when you want to print files in languages for which printer-resident fonts are not available. See the wwpsof(8) ref- erence page for more information. EXIT STATUS
An error has occurred. ERRORS
The /etc/printcap error log field, lf, is used to specify the name of the error log file. SEE ALSO
Commands: cancel(1), lpr(1), pr(1), printer(1), pac(8), thailpof(8), wwpsof(8) Files: printcap(4) Others: i18n_printing(5) System Administration pcfof(8)