Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to cut a string from a variable Post 42516 by Ygor on Thursday 30th of October 2003 11:55:47 AM
Old 10-30-2003
Try

MATCHSTR=${FULLSTR#*=}

or

MATCHSTR=`echo $FULLSTR|cut -d'=' -f2-`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut through variable

hi, can some one put more light. i want to perform cut operation on a variable, but i am not able to do so as the variable contain special character. e.g var="adc|cfr\\df|{dff}|df}}" command : var1=`cut -c10-12 $var` i gives error. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut string from a line into a variable

Hi, I am working on a ksh script and I´m stuck on the following: I have to get the pthread_id from a procstack file for a particular tid#. ---------- tid# 1274057 (pthread ID: 1800) ---------- ---------- tid# 1736913 (pthread ID: 4019) ---------- ---------- tid# 1478705 (pthread ID: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf33uk
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 7 characters of a variable

I need to cut the last seven characters of a variable length variable. The variable may be 7 characters or 70. I need to always be able to grab the last 7 characters. I looked at the cut command but it always seems to want to start at the beginning of a line, not the end and count backwards. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kblawson14
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a string from a variable

hello, i need to cut a string in unix but not from file ,, from variable, i searched on special line , and i need a specific data from this line , i get it on variable, how can i cut data that i need ??? merci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a string from a variable

I want to cut column 1 to 5 echo $somevariable | cut -c 1-5 not working (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

Hi in a directory i've files having the following name for_category_info_19990101984301 for_catgry_meta_19991111214601 ------- I just want the name till year and month i.e; for_category_info_199901 for_catgry_meta_199911 How can i achieve the above string Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

---------- Post updated at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:28 AM ---------- Hello, I am trying to get the string cut based on the following needs: String1=Submitted request 25574824 for CONCURRENT SQLAP RUAPACTUALSEXT Y RUAPACTUALS122313100616.dat "2013/01/12 14:50:44"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to variable using cut?

Hey guys. Below is the command I am using to assign "yellow" to the variable yellow. I can seem to echo it out using xargs but when I assign it to yellow and then try to echo it out it prints a blank line. Below is the command. Your help is highly appreciated! cut -c 2- color.txt |... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldan88
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)