Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Creating a hash table using shell script Post 42414 by Simerian on Wednesday 29th of October 2003 04:37:23 AM
Old 10-29-2003
Faked Hash

You could fake a hash using a pseudo-associative array. AWK provides this facility but it involves a little work in the ksh, for example:

Storing a value using a variable as a key:

where n="TEST"

typeset val_${n}=3

the value of ${val_TEST} will be seen to be 3, checked using set or env. Reading the value is a little trickier. It can be performed directly if the key name is constant:

echo "${val_TEST}"

However, to use a variable key, perform the following:

echo "$(eval echo \$val_${n})"

This acts as a pointer and should then return 3.

In order to run the hash, set or env can be used along with a pattern matching utility, i.e. grep or egrep, especially if the variable name prefix is very specific (i.e. val_).

Last edited by Simerian; 10-29-2003 at 08:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

hash table implementations in C Language

Hello List, Iam searching for a solution where i can use hash based searching . In Detail , I have linked list which will be dynamically increasing . I need a best searching mechanisim such a way that it can take only one itereation . Right now iam using linear search which is taking... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlrk
11 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a Hash Table

Dear Friends, I want to create a hash table using the standard Glib header (if possible) so that I can store a structure and keep the hash key(search key) based on a string. Any example code would be great since I am not able to get the main idea. best regards Skull (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmetheskull
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nested hash table

Hi, I have a nested hash table say for example as follows: %coins = ( 1 => { "Quarter"=>25, "Dime"=>10, "Nickel"=>5, }, 2 => { "asd"=>34, "qwe"=>45, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to import external HASH table in PERL???

hello, I am creating a HASH table using file1.pl :- I want to retrieve the content of the hash table created above from another file named file2.pl :- The problem is that if I separate like this into 2 files.Then it says that HASH table is not created.So can you please tell me how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
2 Replies

5. Programming

Hash table

Hi, I hope someone can help me with the following prob.. I need to implement a hashtable whose KEYs are strings and VLAUEs are again hashtables. ie key - is a string and value -is another hashtable . So.... how am I supposed to be implementing my nested hashtable? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hash Table like implementation in unix

Hi all, I just downloaded this example from the net. I was looking around for a hash table like implementation in unix when I came across this. ARRAY=( "cow:moo" "dinosaur:roar" "bird:chirp" "bash:rock" ) for animal in ${ARRAY} ; do KEY=${animal%%:*} ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anindyabecs
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a condensed table from a pre-existing table in putty

Hello, I'm working with putty on Windows 7 professional and I'd like to know if there's a way to gather specific lines from a pre-existing table and make a new table with that information. More specifically, I'd like the program to look at a specific column, say column N, and see if any of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deedee393
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a hash table from a sub routine

hello, i am new to scripting and would like to know how to return a hash table from a sub routine. i tried the following, my %hash_function = (); hash_function = &return_hash(); sub return_hash { my %hash = (); ///populate the hash return %hash; } but it dosent seem to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalathak10
1 Replies

9. Programming

Hash Table

I was looking at this script and was wondering if anyone can explain what this script does and how does it work. Thank you for any help. State* lookup(char* prefix, int create) { int i, h; State *sp = NULL ; h = hash(prefix); for (sp = statetab; sp != NULL; sp... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print hash of hash in table format

Hi, I have a hash of hash where it has name, activities and count i have data like this - $result->{$name}->{$activities} = $value; content of that are - name - robert tom cat peter activities - running, eating, sleeping , drinking, work i need to print output as below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies
hash(1) 							   User Commands							   hash(1)

NAME
hash, rehash, unhash, hashstat - evaluate the internal hash table of the contents of directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/hash [utility] /usr/bin/hash [-r] sh hash [-r] [name...] csh rehash unhash hashstat ksh hash [name...] hash [-r] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/hash The /usr/bin/hash utility affects the way the current shell environment remembers the locations of utilities found. Depending on the argu- ments specified, it adds utility locations to its list of remembered locations or it purges the contents of the list. When no arguments are specified, it reports on the contents of the list. The -r option causes the shell to forget all remembered locations. Utilities provided as built-ins to the shell are not reported by hash. sh For each name, the location in the search path of the command specified by name is determined and remembered by the shell. The -r option to the hash built-in causes the shell to forget all remembered locations. If no arguments are given, hash provides information about remem- bered commands. The Hits column of output is the number of times a command has been invoked by the shell process. The Cost column of output is a measure of the work required to locate a command in the search path. If a command is found in a "relative" directory in the search path, after changing to that directory, the stored location of that command is recalculated. Commands for which this will be done are indi- cated by an asterisk (*) adjacent to the Hits information. Cost will be incremented when the recalculation is done. csh rehash recomputes the internal hash table of the contents of directories listed in the path environmental variable to account for new com- mands added. unhash disables the internal hash table. hashstat prints a statistics line indicating how effective the internal hash table has been at locating commands (and avoiding execs). An exec is attempted for each component of the path where the hash function indicates a possible hit and in each component that does not begin with a '/'. ksh For each name, the location in the search path of the command specified by name is determined and remembered by the shell. The -r option to the hash built-in causes the shell to forget all remembered locations. If no arguments are given, hash provides information about remem- bered commands. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported by hash: utility The name of a utility to be searched for and added to the list of remembered locations. OUTPUT
The standard output of hash is used when no arguments are specified. Its format is unspecified, but includes the pathname of each utility in the list of remembered locations for the current shell environment. This list consists of those utilities named in previous hash invoca- tions that have been invoked, and may contain those invoked and found through the normal command search process. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of hash: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the location of utility. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by hash: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 hash(1)