Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: looking up hostname
Special Forums IP Networking looking up hostname Post 42390 by dangral on Tuesday 28th of October 2003 03:56:45 PM
Old 10-28-2003
I didnt know the domain name at the time, and there was no entry for the apropriate dns server.
I ended up calling someone and finding out the domain name.

I guess there still is some reason for having a telephone...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname

Hello, I am installing redhat linux 6.2 on an intel based system. Whether i want to know any naming conventions should i follow. ie Any convention to follow to name a linux machine(To give hostname). Simillarly for domain name also. Please suggest in this regard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

4. Solaris

hostname on Solaris

Hi All, I am wondering how does the hostname command decides what is the actual hostname. Where does the command take the information from? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmishkind
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hostname cannot execute

I'm receiving the following message when executing hostname: /usr/bin/hostname: /bin/uname: cannot execute This error is usuallly a permissions issue but both /usr/bin/hostname and /bin/uname are set with the correct permissions as shown: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 561 Jan 21 2005... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: t_coop
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resolve IP to Hostname?

Good day, I would like to resolve IP's to Hostnames using Putty. I'm using Mandriva Linux 2008.0. Is this possible? Perhaps with nmap? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: McGuywer
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hostname in Perl?

I have a few servers whose hostname is "app.prod.cbo.im.foobar.com" prod is the environment I want to capture in a perl script. I want the script to run on qa and it should be environment independent.So if I am running the script on app.qa.cbo.im.foobar.com I want to capture qa out of that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

9. AIX

Hostname for each lpar

Hi Gurus, Can a AIX server with 4 LPARs, each having it's own hostname on the same physical host. Is this possible? Thanks, S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies
PMHOSTNAME(1)						      General Commands Manual						     PMHOSTNAME(1)

NAME
pmhostname - report hostname SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/pmhostname [hostname] DESCRIPTION
pmhostname reports the name of the host hostname as returned by gethostbyname(3N). If hostname is not specified, then the local host name is retrieved using gethostname(2) and this is than passed to gethostbyname(3N). pmhostname provides a service for shell scripts that mimics the logic formerly used by Performance Co-Pilot applications when trying to determine the official name of a host. PCP applications no longer use DNS-based heuristics, and therefore this command is deprecated. If gethostbyname(3N) fails, the input host name (either hostname or the result from calling gethostname(2)) is reported. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
named(1), nsd(1), nslookup(1), gethostname(2), gethostbyname(3N), pcp.conf(5), pcp.env(5) and resolver(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMHOSTNAME(1)