Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mac problem.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mac problem. Post 42272 by Karma on Saturday 25th of October 2003 11:27:44 AM
Old 10-25-2003
I don't think ifconfig saves modifications, so if he wants to keep his MAC at a certain value, he should include his
Quote:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:10:5c:ab:42:21
ifconfig eth0 up
in an rc script.

If he set the MAC addy back to 00:10:5c:ab:42:21 after rebooting, he should still be able to connect (actually, now that I think of it, the MAC address is broadcast at boot time, isn't it? it shouldn't really matter unless there's a strange setup... but I'm no networking expert) - perhaps there was a typo?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with curses library on Mac OS 10.2 darwin

Hello, I am trying to write a simple program with functions in the ncurses library, on a Mac running OSX 10.2.8, with the compiler and libraries that were included in the Dec 2002 Developer's tools release (the last one that runs on Jaguar, as far as I know). When I try to compile, I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marks
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix executable file problem on MAC OSX ??? please help

I've got this problem. My computers and external hard drives are converting many of my files to a Unix Executable File which has a grey terminal looking icon. I don't understand what is causing this to happen. It is happening to a large number of my image file of different formats and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chadb
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with python on mac

Hi, I'm sure there's a very easy way to fix this but i'm a newbie so I'm posting this. The problem is that whenever I run python on the terminal I can no longer use the left and right arrows to move left or right, or the up/down arrows to call commands used before. Whenever I click an arrow I get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefloydpink
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

X11 Display Problem with Mac OSX after creating new account

For preliminaries, I am on a Mac Pro running 10.5. I am trying to run a program that opens an X11 graphic and plots a mesh. The little program is called showme. It has worked just fine in the past. Up until I had to make a new user account on this machine for myself. Now every time I try to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bocephus85
8 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)