Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CSH Error Message
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CSH Error Message Post 42123 by Latha Nair on Wednesday 22nd of October 2003 12:27:08 PM
Old 10-22-2003
Unfortunately (or fortunately), we don't have tombstones! We get cremated! So, I guess whatever I have to say would be cremated with me! Smilie

My conclusion is that all the manuals, help routines , everything that is meant to make things easier...... makes sense only when you know the stuff (at least most of the time). I get better tips from people who have worked with the stuff (like I am doing now). I am slowly getting better, as each day goes by. We just have been up on Unix barely a month. I have only OpenVMS knowledge, which is NO GOOD at this point! I guess we have to roll with the punches (as they say?) I will keep a watch on this site for helpful information. I did go thru a lot of emails from folks like me - struggling with some day to day stuff.

Thanks again.....for your help. It is much appreciated.

Latha Nair Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Error Message with ls

When I try to list a directory that I have been using rsync to copy, I now am getting the following message. root # ls -alt /directory ls: /directory: Value too large to be stored in data type. total 0 I can change directory and list the contents of directories within /directory, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallender
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting Ambiguous error on kill -9 @pid from csh

Hello all i have simple script that executing program every 10 seconds im invoke this script as daemon with second script that put it in the background this is my first script (IsAliveTester.csh) #!/bin/csh -f @ iSleep = 10 set processName = "ClientTester" while(1) $processName ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Linux

error message

Hello I got this message error on my box with linux red hat 2887a374 WsServer E WSVR0009E: Error occurred during startup Do you know what does that mean ! Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does this error message mean?

I was reviewing logs and I got this error message in /var/log/messages: Did not receive identification string from (IP ADDRESS) What does it mean? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable error in csh script

Below csh script gives error: Undefined variable:confused: #!/bin/csh $QUERY="netscape"; COUNT_NETSCAPE=${ps | grep -c $QUERY}; echo $COUNT_NETSCAPE; when run gives error adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 64 ] ./unix_6.sh QUERY: Undefined variable. What is the root cause of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Missing ] error in csh script

The below script gives error: Missing ] #!/bin/csh set MAX=15 set PATTERN='dtsession' set NUM=`ps -eaf | grep -c $PATTERN` echo "No of dtsession = "$NUM if then echo 'Quota exceeded permissible limit' echo 'sending mail...............' mail hiten.r.chauhan@gmail.com<<EOF ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in .csh file

Hi all, I am trying to modify a script for research purposes and am having difficulty here as I have little prior experience with C-shell scripting. The script looks as follows (it includes tcl commands like runFEP that you can ignore) #!/bin/bash for ((old=1, new=2; old<=4; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Csh script with Undefined variable error

hi there I have this C shell script that was migrated from AIX to Linux, could someone please help me, I checked the syntax numerous times but I can't find out where the error is. The script is meant to find files older than 27 days and delete it #!/usr/bin/csh # ... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
22 Replies

10. Ubuntu

error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh

Hi, i am a beginner in ubuntu. my default shell is bash. everytime i try to change the shell with command "csh", i get a message (probably an error message). after i get into c-shell, when i try to execute a c shellscript, then it showed the same message. any idea about what is this about or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Avinash Nayak
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)