Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a file / /dev/null
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating a file / /dev/null Post 41813 by 435 Gavea on Wednesday 15th of October 2003 11:52:47 AM
Old 10-15-2003
/dev/null

But sending files to /dev/null acts as if I was deleting these files ?

By the way, thanks for the prompt answer !

435 Gavea - bRaZiL - ThE HeLL iS hERe !!! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

> /dev/null

hello all, In many shell scripts i found '> /dev/null' , i am not able to get this, will any one please explain why we are using this. thanks sudha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/NULL can't open this file ??

when i write the following two statements : cp /dev/NULL /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp cat /dev/NULL > /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp its gives me errors like : cp: /dev/NULL: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. cat : /dev/NULL can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null what is the use of it?

when do you use the path /dev/null (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: webmunkey23
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null a file using xargs

Hi, I'm currently using the following command to wipe clean a log file which can't be straight out RM'd: cat /dev/null > server.log I'm building this into a script and I'm current working on a command to run on each machine to do this automatically however I have multiple files so I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deehem
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. AIX

/dev/null file issue

Hi Experts, I Have a query. In one of my server I just came to know that there was /dev/null file which is a not a character file. Its just a normal file. I know the command to create the character file (/dev/null) but what is the procedure. Like should i delete /dev/null and create or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
7 Replies

10. AIX

Size of file /dev/./null 2>&1

Hello Can I just remove/delete flile ? rw-r--r-- 1 root system 2385088512 Jun 30 21:25 /dev/null 2>&1 size of this flile is 2274.75 m and fill up my filesystem: Filesystem MB blocks Used Free %Used Mounted on /dev/hd4 2560.00 2558.59 1.41 100% / (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
10 Replies
TOUCH(1)							   User Commands							  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch - change file timestamps SYNOPSIS
touch [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Update the access and modification times of each FILE to the current time. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a change only the access time -B, --backward=SECONDS Modify the time by going back SECONDS seconds. For example, touch -r foo -B 5 bar will make the file bar 5 seconds older than file foo. -c, --no-create do not create any files -d, --date=STRING parse STRING and use it instead of current time -F, --forward=SECONDS Modify the time by going forward SECONDS seconds. For example, touch -r foo -F 5 bar will make the file bar 5 seconds newer than file foo. -f (ignored) -m change only the modification time -r, --reference=FILE use this file's times instead of current time -t STAMP use [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss] instead of current time --time=WORD set time given by WORD: access atime use (same as -a) modify mtime (same as -m) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note that the -d and -t options accept different time-date formats. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, Arnold Robbins, Jim Kingdon, David MacKenzie, and Randy Smith. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for touch is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and touch programs are properly installed at your site, the command info touch should give you access to the complete manual. touch (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 TOUCH(1)