Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User logging log
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users User logging log Post 41727 by hassan2 on Monday 13th of October 2003 09:30:42 AM
Old 10-13-2003
you need the following entry in

in /etc/syslog.conf

*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit /var/adm/messages

then issue
kill -HUP "syslog pid"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logging SFTP details in a log file...

hi all..... i want to know how to log the details when logging into a server using SFTP......in FTP i used something like (ftp -uv<xxx.srp>>log_file.log) where the details will be logged to log_file...is there any options for doing the same in SFTP....i wanted to display the details abt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Tracing a user and logging his actions

Dear All, I want to enable the tracing for a user and logging all things he do in a log file.......... Thaaanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Issue with user logging in to HP UX Server

Hi, I wonder if anyone is able to assist me. I have a HP UX server and some HP UX workstations that has been migrated from another network. I have changed the IP Addresses and everything seems to be working fine. However, the users are complaining that they are unable to login to the UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michaelgim
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possibility of logging into linux machine when the user does not exist locally

Hi, I am trying authenticate ssh users login using third party server (radius) instead of local system authentication. I have modified my /etc/pam.d/sshd with required server auth configuration and able to authenticate user using radius server and the user is able to ssh into this linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhandapanik
2 Replies

5. AIX

Logging user logins

I want to know how I can turn off and turn on login logging. We have a server that appears to have stopped logging user logins. Running the who command shows nothing and the last command shows no logins for a month. The var/adm/wtmp file isn't full and there is plenty of space in the var file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to avoid logging with root user?

I have created a linux machine and installed some softwares on it with root user privileges . I used to login with root user credentials for doing the various task. Later i have realise that this is not the best practice to follow and there should be a new user with less privileges to be created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logging User Sessions

Hello, I am using a Linux server (Ubuntu 11.04 Server) to host some files and a code repository. Because we are using ssh + svn to connect to the repository, our users have normal ssh access. What I would like to do is log their user sessions so that I have an audit trail in the event that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisb1609
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User account logging

Hi - I want to log commands typed by oraapps user with time into some log file on runtime. HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " works but any one with oraapps user can delete the history. OS : RHEl 5.6 Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Logging

Hi, I have several engineers logging into servers with the same system username and passwords eg root. I was thinking about adding a script to bashrc where a user is forced upon login to enter their name and once that has executed there history is logged/redirected to a log file somewhere. I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxwellhouse
10 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
POSTLOG(1)						      General Commands Manual							POSTLOG(1)

NAME
postlog - Postfix-compatible logging utility SYNOPSIS
postlog [-iv] [-c config_dir] [-p priority] [-t tag] [text...] DESCRIPTION
The postlog(1) command implements a Postfix-compatible logging interface for use in, for example, shell scripts. By default, postlog(1) logs the text given on the command line as one record. If no text is specified on the command line, postlog(1) reads from standard input and logs each input line as one record. Logging is sent to syslogd(8); when the standard error stream is connected to a terminal, logging is sent there as well. The following options are implemented: -c config_dir Read the main.cf configuration file in the named directory instead of the default configuration directory. -i Include the process ID in the logging tag. -p priority Specifies the logging severity: info (default), warn, error, fatal, or panic. -t tag Specifies the logging tag, that is, the identifying name that appears at the beginning of each logging record. A default tag is used when none is specified. -v Enable verbose logging for debugging purposes. Multiple -v options make the software increasingly verbose. ENVIRONMENT
MAIL_CONFIG Directory with the main.cf file. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant to this program. The text below provides only a parameter summary. See postconf(5) for more details including examples. config_directory (see 'postconf -d' output) The default location of the Postfix main.cf and master.cf configuration files. syslog_facility (mail) The syslog facility of Postfix logging. syslog_name (see 'postconf -d' output) The mail system name that is prepended to the process name in syslog records, so that "smtpd" becomes, for example, "postfix/smtpd". SEE ALSO
postconf(5), configuration parameters syslogd(8), syslog daemon LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA POSTLOG(1)