Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cleaning log files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cleaning log files Post 41611 by rocker40 on Thursday 9th of October 2003 12:17:46 PM
Old 10-09-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelam_Magnus

cp log.orig log.bak.<date>
compress log.bak.<date>
> log.orig [/B]
This would not delete the file name would it ? just clean whats in it ? using >log.orig ?

Isn't there a way to use the [truncate] command also?
like [truncate log.orig] would this delete every thing but recent entries ?

Last edited by rocker40; 10-09-2003 at 01:26 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

doing some spring cleaning....

USERS="me you jim joe sue" for user in ${USERS}; do rmuser -p $user usrdir=`cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` rm -fr `cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` echo Deleting: $user '\t' REMOVING: $usrdir done This is for AIX ONLY!!! but easily ported to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cleaning text files

I wish to clean a text file of the following characters 1/2, 1/4, o (degrees) I cant display these characters. I have tried ALT+189 etc (my terminal emulator is set to ASCII). How do I display the above ? I am using HP UX 10. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferretman
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Database cleaning software

Hi everybody, I have been given a task to find the names of some products that can clean up databases by removing confidential information. The situation is that a client imports data from public sources (government websites, etc.) but that this data sometimes includes things like Social... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhfrommn
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaning the content of log files

Hi, I am facing problems while trying to clean a log file(Means making its file Size zero). I am not the owner of this file. From the command line, I can clean it by becoming a Sudo. (">logfilename"). I want to automate it using perl. But inside a script, sudo somehow doesnt seem to work. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cleaning core files

Hello *! Just a short question. Where on the system i can find core files. I have one SUN server (Solaris 8) and from time to time I must clean core files on it. But i am not sure where i can find those files. Thank you in advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghost01
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File cleaning

HI , I am getting the source data as below. Source Data CDR_Data,,,,, F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6 5,5,6,7,8,7 6,6,g,,, 7,7,76,,, 8,8,gt,,, 9,9,df ,d,d,d ,,,,, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wangkc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning the file

Hi, I have a file with multiple rows. each row has 8 columns. Column 8 has entries separated by commas. I want to exclude all the rows in which column 8 has more than 3 commas. 1234#0/1 - ABC_1234 3 ATGCATGCATGC HHHIIIGIHVF 1 49:T>C,60:T>C,78:C>A,76:G>T,65:T>G Thanks, Diya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning up files using find...

I am trying to cleanup a directory with around 4000 files, and using the below command to delete all .gz files older than 60 days, I am having the same issue of arguments being too long. is there a way i can use the same command to do what I intend to do. find /opt/et/logs/Archive/*.log.*.gz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

OCR text that needs cleaning

Hi, I have OCR'ed text that needs cleaning. Lines are delimited by parts of speech (POS), for example, each line will have either an adj. OR s. f. OR s. m. etc I need to uppercase all text before the POS but all text within parentheses to be lowercase Text after (and including) the POS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: safran
6 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)