Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unsupported characters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unsupported characters Post 41566 by Perderabo on Wednesday 8th of October 2003 10:39:11 AM
Old 10-08-2003
I would stay away from the tab character too.

But mostly, never use a newline character in a filename.

It's impossible to use an embedded null or an imbedded / in a file name because these have special meaning when unix scans a filename. You can sometimes do this anyway by remote mounting the file system to another non-unix os. Refrain from doing that, since it's equally "impossible" to fix.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Postfix/Pgsql unsupported dictionary type

Hello, I'm using postfix on Solaris 9 and I need the Postgress data base support. I'm using the CSW version of postfix: CSW - Details for postfix But in the log files of postfix I see I read on other forums that this means that the Pgsql support is not compiled in the postfix. How... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tex-Twil
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Jumpstart Error: Unsupported version (3.0).

Hello, The OS version of the ZFS flar is Solaris 10 U9 . Here is the screen output from my attempted jumpstart: System identification is completed. System identification complete. Starting Solaris installation program... Searching for JumpStart directory... Using rules.ok from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siralos
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unsupported hardware detected error for SSD hard drive

Hi, I am trying to install Oracle Linux 6.5 on vmware workstation 9, but during the installation i am getting popup box with below message. unsupported hardware detected The hardware ( or a combination thereof) is not supported by Oracle Linux) ....... My laptop is having SSD SM871... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suren424
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Install RHEL 7 on unsupported HP Smart Array (P400)

Hello community, after hours (days) spent to understand what's the problem reported also in the following thread: https://www.unix.com/red-hat/278892-cant-boot-rhel7-2-due-start-job-running.html I realize that the problem is the server itself. I opened a new thread since the issue in not related... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
mounting(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       mounting(7)

NAME
mounting - event signalling that a filesystem is mounting SYNOPSIS
mounting DEVICE=DEVICE MOUNTPOINT=MOUNTPOINT TYPE=TYPE OPTIONS=OPTIONS [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The mounting event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon when it is about to mount a filesystem. mountall(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before proceeding with mounting the filesystem. The DEVICE, MOUNTPOINT, TYPE and OPTIONS environment variables contain the values of the fstab(5) fields for this mountpoint. EXAMPLE
A tool that should be run before mounting the /var filesystem might use: start on mounting MOUNTPOINT=/var task SEE ALSO
mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) local-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) filesystem(7) mountall 2009-12-21 mounting(7)