Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl: Filename expansion?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: Filename expansion? Post 41493 by kowrip on Tuesday 7th of October 2003 10:45:48 AM
Old 10-07-2003
Re: Perl: Filename expansion?

Quote:
Originally posted by davidg
Hi,

I do not know if my subject is right, but I at least have your attention Smilie
Recently I posted a perl question related to this.

Now when someone starts my program using an asterics:

./dirinfo.pl /orapkg/ora0*/oradata/

It can contain multiple directories. The following command shows me those directories : "ls -ad /orapkg/ora0*/oradata "

But how can I import this array? The following does not work :

$directory = @ARGV[0];
if ( $directory =~ /.*\\*.*/ ) { # This works
@array=`ls -ad $directory`; # This does not work !
@arra1=`ls -lad $directory | awk '{print $9}` # Also does not work
@arra2=`eval ls -lad $directory | awk '{print $9}`# Also does not work
}

Any help will be much apreciated !!

Regs David
When your perl script is invoked from the shell with wildcards such as the "*", the SHELL expands the arguments. Suppose your current directory only contains 3 directories named "mydir", "hisdir", "newdir". If your program is invoked as follows:

./dirinfo *dir

then the shell expands the *dir so that your program is REALLY invoked like:

./dirinfo hisdir mydir newdir

So, @ARGV will contain ("hisdir", "mydir", "newdir"). Therefore, you simply need to assign @array to @ARGV. Have I misunderstood you ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open filename with special characters in Perl

Hi All, I am facing a weird problem. I have got a directory structure copied from windows to Linux. Some of the folders are named like /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_1998.zip /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_2000.CSV /gfs/data/Dow Jones... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitrashatru
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory -l filename perl

Can anybody let me know what following commands will do in perl 1.my $result = `/main/home/bin/iwex -l '$File1'`; 2.my $setcmd = "/main/home/bin/iwex -s \"$File2\" \"$File3\""; where $File1 $File2 $File3 are regular files. Please suggest something. Ur welcome (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print the expansion of the found string (the expansion is beween two delimiters '-' , '||'

Hi , could anyone help me out with this problem. sample.txt has this content : u001- this is used for project1 || u002- this is used for p2|| not to be printed u003- this is used for project3 || u004- this is used for p4 || u005- this is used for project5 || u006- this is used for p6... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balaji PK
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Cannot stat or move filename - £££F3AERO££.txt

Scenario: Users drop files into a directory which is regularly polled by my PERL process. On detecting a file my process will move it from the poll dir to a working directory. A user created a file with a £ symbol in the filename and my process now fails. e.g £££F3AERO££.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thefal9
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append current date to filename.tgz in perl

i would like to know how to append current date in a filename with .tgz extension. #!/usr/bin/perl my $date = `date + %Y%m%d`; system("sudo mv /tmp/nyucs01_config_backup.tgz /misc/nyucs01_config_backup_$date.tgz"); im getting this error message: sh: line 1: .tgz: command not found (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to split the filename

In PERL script I have few files named theme1.htm,theme2.htm,theme3.htm and so on. now I need to write perl code to split the the filename and store only that particular digit. Example -------------- filename is theme1.htm output should be 1 another example ---------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding timestap to filename using perl

Hello, I am trying to create a file in windows and i want the filename to have timestamp as well but something is wrong and i can not understand waht. The code that i use is the following ($cwkday,$cmonth,$cday,$ctime,$cyear) = split(/\s+/, localtime); $current_date =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use parameter expansion over a parameter expansion in bash.

Hello All, Could you please do help me here as I would like to perform parameter expansion in shell over a parameter expansion. Let's say I have following variable. path="/var/talend/nat/cdc" Now to get only nat I could do following. path1="${path%/*}" path1="${path1##*/}" Here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)