Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Maximizing 20GB HDD space
Operating Systems Solaris Maximizing 20GB HDD space Post 41474 by xtian on Monday 6th of October 2003 11:30:26 PM
Old 10-07-2003
Maximizing 20GB HDD space

hello All!

I have sun ultra5 pc with 9GB HDD and I'm planning to add 20GB HHD for future expansion and it is coming from my old intel based pc. My problem is everytime I formatted the new HD the system only gives me the result of free space for about 2GB+ as a maximum space.

I have manufacturer disk system but it doesn't work on unix. Is there any built-in command in unix that I could fix this problem.

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

xtian

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximizing an xterm or aixterm window?

Is there a way to maximize an xterm window in a ksh script? I've tried a number of approaches, but none seem to have the desired affect. All I want to accomplish is to have the window maximized upon being called in the script...i.e: xterm -T MyNewXterm -e programToOpen & | maximized --or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spieterman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HDD free space check

Hi, I need to add a condition in a script. The script is executed only if there is free 8 Gigas space. I know if then fi I don't know how to write the condition on free space Thanks :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pppswing
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX using unused HDD space

Hello, I have a system with HP-UX 11.23 installed on it. There are ~36GB of unused space on the HDD. I did a very basic installation, and it created the usual volume group /dev/vg00. When I look at the output of ioscan -funC disk, I see this (and more, but irrelevant to this post): disk ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goon12
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Free space of HDD ?

Friends , Using which command I can see the free space or usage of the Total HDD in Linux RHEL ? suppose Imy HDD is 10GB space . I have to insall RHEL 5 using 6 GB space . Now i have 4 GB space free in my total HDD . Now using which cammand I see this 4 GB free space ? Wating for kind... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Maximizing X window without Window Switcher

Hi everyone! I have a strange situation. I'm running an NX remote Gnome desktop session. On the remote machine, there is a whole load of unsaved data in a window. A problem that I've been having with this NX session is that I can't load Gnome Applets, including the Window Switcher. So.. when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexandicity
0 Replies

8. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies
acctsuspend(5)							File Formats Manual						    acctsuspend(5)

NAME
acctsuspend, acctresume - suspend and resume accounting when available disk space reaches threshold VALUES
Failsafe Default. Default acctsuspend: acctresume: Allowed values acctresume: acctsuspend: Recommended values acctsuspend: acctresume: (But more than acctsuspend) DESCRIPTION
The and tunables control when accounting stops and resumes due to disk space constraints. When free disk space on the file system being used by accounting reaches the suspension threshold, which is the percentage relative to the percentage of disk space available only to the superuser, accounting is suspended until such time as the free disk space reaches the resumption threshold, which is the percentage rela- tive to the percentage of disk space available only to the superuser. Note: Since the and values are specified relative to the percentage of disk space available only to the superuser, negative values of these parameters can make sense. For example, if the superuser has reserved 10 percent of the disk space on the file system at file system creation time, and acctsuspend is -5 and acctresume is 0, the suspension threshold will be 5 percent of the total disk space and the resumption threshold will be 10 percent of the total disk space. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone using accounting. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Increasing either variable should be considered when it is necessary to maintain a higher percentage of free space on the accounting filesystem. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? The higher either value is, the less accounting data may be captured. The further the values are separated, the greater the amount of potentially lost accounting data. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If additional disk space is needed for accounting data, and it cannot be obtained by moving files off of the filesystem, then the value of should be lowered. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? Filesystem performance (writing accounting records) decreases as the filesystem fills up. In turn, this will decrease the overall perfor- mance of accounting processes. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? When changing either of these tunables, both should be considered. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
accton(1M). Tunable Kernel Parameters acctsuspend(5)