Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers no shell connection closed error Post 41453 by giulianob on Monday 6th of October 2003 05:05:26 PM
Old 10-06-2003
no shell connection closed error

Hi,

I have created some users on my new enviroment on sun solaris in the aptempt to create a .profile which I did. I must have done something wrong because when I try to connect to one of this users it says:no shell, connection closed. The only thing I can think is that in my .profile I inserted an entry that say SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh
but i checked with "which ksh" before and it showed me the above path. What could be else be wrong and how can I ajust this? I also saw logged as root in etc/passwd that for all those user the path for ksh was :bin/ksh, I changed this to be :/usr/bin/ksh, but still same problem.
Help
Giuliano

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Connection closed

Hi Everyone, Good day. Scenario: 2 unix servers -- A (SunOS) and B (AIX) I have an ftp script to sftp 30 files from A to B which happen almost instantaneously i.e 30 sftp's happen at the same time. Some of these sftp's fail with the following error: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeevan_fimare
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Server unexpectedly closed network connection error in passwordless in ssh through

Hi , when i try to passwordless connection login in ssh through putty, i am getting the "Server unexpectedly closed network connection" error.i have already finished the public and private key settings for the particular user. thanks MaroV (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script/telnet - Remove/Control "Connection closed by foreign host"

How do I gain control of the "Connection closed by foreign host" message telnet yields when you connect to it in a shell script? I'm using the output: #!/usr/local/bin/bash count=$(ping -c 1 $1 | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2 }' | awk '{ print $1 }') if ; then echo "$1 PING "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tomcat Connection closed

Hi how can do why a process closed a connection? # lsof -i tcp:8080 COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME java 5851 tomcat 29u IPv6 73216185 TCP *:webcache (LISTEN) # telnet localhost 8080 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lain
0 Replies

5. Solaris

"Connection closed by" error

OS: Solaris 8 Sparc server1:userA:/home/userA# ssh userB@server1 Connection closed by < IP address> Problem: From being a userA, I am unable to connect/ssh to the same server as when trying to use a different account. (userB) Do you know where can i start checking? Here are some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrist
3 Replies

6. AIX

ssh connection closed by ip

Hi i am trying to do ssh without password between 2 aix servers. before i generate the keys, i am able to do the ssh & it is asking for password & i am able to login. ======================== # ssh 172.29.150.77 root@172.29.150.77's password: ======================== but when i generate rsa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: makarand.bhatka
1 Replies

7. Solaris

"Connection closed by foreign host error" in Solaris 10

Version Details Solaris version : Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86 $ uname -a SunOS tippy178 5.10 Generic_147441-01 i86pc i386 i86pcThe Issue +++++++++ I have two solaris 10 Virtual Machines created using Virtual Box. One of my applications running on Source was trying to connect... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How keep running a program n an another computer via a connection ssh when the connection is closed?

Hi everybody, I am running a program on a supercomputer via my personal computer through a ssh connection. My program take more than a day to run, so when I left work with my PC I stop the connection with the supercomputer and the program stop. I am wondering if someone know how I can manage... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomTomGre
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Connection closed by host error in rhel 6 Linux

Hi All, I am new to Redhat Enterprise Linux 6 version. I am facing an issue with my lab server which is having RHEL6 lab1:root> uname -a Linux lab1 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 2 17:04:38 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I am getting this error for every 18 minutes 30... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: go2suresh1979
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet error- Escape character is '^]' and connection closed by foreign host

In program, I want to telnet the ports present in telnet.txt file and capture screenshot of open port which is opened on new terminal. Problems: Escape character is '^]' and Connection closed by foreign host. Loop is not working properly. It only take one ports and closed the connection. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk151993
9 Replies
ac(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     ac(8)

NAME
ac - Outputs connect-session records SYNOPSIS
ac [-dp] [-w filename] [user(s) ...] FLAGS
Outputs the total connect time for each midnight-to-midnight period for which a wtmp file exists. When user(s) is specified, this flag lim- its the output to the login names specified by any user(s) parameter(s). Outputs the connect time total by individual login name of the user specified with the -p flag and the user(s) parameter. Omission of this flag permits a total only for the midnight-to-midnight time period for all logged in users to be produced. Specifies a wtmp file other than the /var/adm/wtmp file. The wtmp file you access for data may have been created automatically by some shell script administration command (for example, runacct) or manually by the system adminis- trator when the original /var/adm/wtmp file becomes too large. DESCRIPTION
The ac command prints to the default output device the total connect time in hours to the nearest hundredth for all users, or the connect time for any user(s) specified with the -p flag. It also prints the names of users specified by the user(s) parameter who have logged in during the life of the current /var/adm/wtmp file. Connect-time records are written by the init and the login programs and are collected in the /var/adm/wtmp file, when such a file exists. When a /var/adm/wtmp file does not exist, no connect-time accounting records are written; consequently, when connect-time records are wanted, the system administrator should create a /var/adm/wtmp file that has an initial record length of 0 (zero). Records in wtmp files (there may be more than one such file) should be processed periodically to keep the files from becoming too large. When you use the runacct command in a shell script, additional wtmp files can be automatically created whenever the current wtmp file becomes too large. You can output the contents of any of these other files when you specify the -w flag and the desired wtmp filename. The ac command is run independently with respect to any accounting shell procedure created or run by any of the acct/* shell procedures or runacct commands. EXAMPLES
To obtain an output of the total connect time for all users who have logged in during the life of the current wtmp data file, enter: /usr/sbin/ac To obtain an output of the total connect time for grossman and mcwhinney as recorded in the default wtmp data file, enter: /usr/sbin/ac grossman mcwhinney To obtain an output of the connect time subtotals for grossman and mcwhinney as recorded in the default wtmp data file, enter: /usr/sbin/ac -p grossman mcwhinney FILES
Specifies the command path. Is the active data file for the collection of connect-time records. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: login(1), init(8) delim off ac(8)