Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opinions on memory increase
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Opinions on memory increase Post 41057 by Perderabo on Sunday 28th of September 2003 09:53:09 PM
Old 09-28-2003
This is lot more info than you originally posted. Still, I would use a phrase like "dipping our toe in" rather than "this deep".

If you are sure that you are swapping and not just paging, then there is no question. You will benefit from more memory. But this only applies to daytime load where you see the swapping activity.

Your nightly jobs which are cpu bound will not benefit very much from the additional memory. Since these are batch jobs that are run overnight, why worry about them? Are they in danger of not completing overnight?

100% cpu could just mean you are compute bound. Imagine a system with one cput that is lightly loaded. Now I add a single process that is finding very large prime numbers. You now have 100% cpu utilization. This is not a real big deal all by itself. The process will have its priority lowered to the minimum very quickly. It will run only when no other process wants the cpu.

Now replace the cpu with a super cpu. My program will now find very large primes faster, but the cpu is still at 100%

So you may not have a problem with your nightly batch jobs. It's rare to use a computer for computation, but it does happen.

Also, next year is just a few months away. I would really resist investing in a system that is being replaced that soon.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Increase memory allocation for apache

Hi, The physical memory of the unix box running on sun solaris is going to be increased. What extra conf. changes should I take care in order for the Apache server to recognise the extra memory. Your response asap is appreciated. Thanks ravi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to increase memory size allowed to one process

Hi, I have migrated some processing from true64 --> AIX 5.3. my problem is to process large files in memory by diff or awk program. I need to load app. 1.3 GB of data into memory but it fails that there is not enough memory. I need following: diff file1 file2 orig. aix diff err... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Petr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to increase the memory utlisation of server

hi all, i need to replicate the environment of one server in another. Two servers are there A and B. i need to replicate A's environment on B. The server A's memory utlisation is 60%, whereas server B's is 15 to 20%. Can some one tell how i can increase the memory utilisation of B to reach... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need opinions about scripting blackouts

Hi All. I am stuck and need some fresh ideas... I am writing a script that checks to see if an Oracle db is available. The script reads an ini file to determine if there is a blackout period for certain db's... ie: we don't care if it's up or down 1700 - 700 the next morning. The ini file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to increase JVM memory in HP UX

Hi, Im using HP UX and tried to increase the JVM memory from 1GB to 2GB for the weblogic domain. but it did not work and started throwing errors. I would like to know if there is any OS level parameter that need to be checked and modified before making changes to JVM memory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

opinions on video editors

What is everyones opinions on these video editors? PiTiVi Avidemux Cinelerra Kdenlive Kino Linux Video Editing: Top Five Linux Video Editors (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies
sg_get_mem_stats(3)					     Library Functions Manual					       sg_get_mem_stats(3)

NAME
sg_get_mem_stats, sg_get_swap_stats - get VM statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <statgrab.h> sg_mem_stats *sg_get_mem_stats(void); sg_swap_stats *sg_get_swap_stats(void); DESCRIPTION
Memory statistics are accessed through the sg_get_mem_stats function. It returns a pointer to a static sg_mem_stats. The sg_get_swap_stats returns returns swap statistics. It returns a pointer to a static sg_swap_stats. On the FreeBSD operating system elevated privileges are required to access the swap statistics. Making the program setgid kmem should be sufficient. Programs running as root will not have this problem. RETURN VALUES
The VM system calls can return a pointer to either a sg_mem_stats or a sg_swap_stats. typedef struct{ long long total; long long free; long long used; long long cache; }sg_mem_stats; total The total amount of memory in bytes. free The total free memory in bytes. used The total used memory in bytes. cache The amount of cache used in bytes. typedef struct{ long long total; long long used; long long free; }sg_swap_stats; total The total swap space in bytes. used The used swap in bytes. free The free swap in bytes. TODO
Add a function to hold open the file descriptor to the kernel memory structures. Doing this would allow the elevated privileges to be dropped early on. SEE ALSO
statgrab(3) WEBSITE
http://www.i-scream.org/libstatgrab/ i-scream $Date: 2005/04/25 11:25:45 $ sg_get_mem_stats(3)