Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting select count(*) into a variable Post 40941 by kowrip on Thursday 25th of September 2003 10:49:18 AM
Old 09-25-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by sssow
#!/bin/sh
COUNT=`sqlplus -s system/manager <<ABC
set head off;
select count(*) from table1;
exit;
ABC`
That script works, but it assumes that he is using Oracle. Anyway, this type of assignment should work for most databases. You just replace the "sqlplus" line with whatever database command line tool you use. For example, in mysql, it would be something like 'mysql -Ddbname -u username -ppassword'. The concept is the same, thought.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

select count(*) in sqlplus into variable unix shell

Need to select count(*) from table to check for zero result in unix script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: struggle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable to select records with awk

As part of a bigger task, I had to read thru a file and separate records into various batches based on a field. Specifically, separate records based on the value in the batch field as defined below. The batch field left-justified numbers. The datafile is here > cat infile 12345 1 John Smith ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Postgresql Select Query to Variable

How to redirect postgresql select query to a variable using shell scripts? I tried to use psql -c "select ip from servers" db | egrep '+\.+\+\+' | sed 's/^ *\(.*\) *$/\1/' Output: 10.10.10.180 10.10.10.181 It display ip addresses from the databasem, but how could i redirect the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uativan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i assign an select statement into a variable?

I am trying to assign an select statement into a variable. Can someone hel me with this. example : a='select * from dual' echo $a should give me select * from dual But this is not working. I trying with \ before * and quotes too. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using unix variable in select column in awk

Hi, I have file on below pattern, and i want to write a generic awk to handle all cases. input_file: col1~col2~col3~col4~col5~col6 I need to generate 4 files something like this File1: col1~~col2~~col3 File2: col1~~col2~~col4 File3: col1~~col2~~col5 File4: col1~~col2~~col6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luckybalaji
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select variable within a if statement

i want to select a variable created and use it in a if statement, but not getting the desired results LINE='device for 0101a01: lpd://172.25.41.111:515' prt=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $3 }' | cut -c 1-7` echo $prt My if statement to select just what i want.. IFS=$":" while read prt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggoliath
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set a variable with a count variable i.e. VARIABLE$COUNT

Hi All I've very nearly finished this script I'm working on but have hit another idiots problem, after googling I can't see a solution for this one. I have a while count loop that checks checks two consecutive values then increments the count by two. What the script has to do is then check... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a no of SELECT COUNT(*) statements using a loop

HI Unix Gurus, I have a number of SELECT count(*) statements in an input file and I want to execute it using a shell script but one by one using loop in script.... How can I do this..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value of a select count(*) from tablename ( run on db2 ) to a unix variable

Hi All, I have browsed through the forums for a similar topic, but there is no topic which explains about this problem, when the backend is DB2. I want to assign the output of a select count(*) from tablename to a unix variable in a shell script. I am using ksh. The database used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddarth
3 Replies
NOTMUCH-COUNT(1)					      General Commands Manual						  NOTMUCH-COUNT(1)

NAME
notmuch-count - Count messages matching the given search terms. SYNOPSIS
notmuch count [options... ] <search-term>... DESCRIPTION
Count messages matching the search terms. The number of matching messages (or threads) is output to stdout. With no search terms, a count of all messages (or threads) in the database will be displayed. See notmuch-search-terms(7) for details of the supported syntax for <search-terms>. Supported options for count include --output=(messages|threads) messages Output the number of matching messages. This is the default. threads Output the number of matching threads. --exclude=(true|false) Specify whether to omit messages matching search.tag_exclude from the count (the default) or not. SEE ALSO
notmuch(1), notmuch-config(1), notmuch-dump(1), notmuch-hooks(5), notmuch-new(1), notmuch-reply(1), notmuch-restore(1), notmuch-search(1), notmuch-search-terms(7), notmuch-show(1), notmuch-tag(1) Notmuch 0.13.2 2012-06-01 NOTMUCH-COUNT(1)