Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nested looping question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nested looping question Post 40923 by davidg on Thursday 25th of September 2003 07:02:02 AM
Old 09-25-2003
Hi,

You are making many typos here. It might be worth looking at your script. Where did you define ${box} which you are echoing later on.

Plus. You have a

for dir2 in $dir
do
for site in $dir2
do

This makes no sense. The only thing what you do is fill $site with the value of $dir2. $dir2 only conatains one value a time.

Please re-read your script. I realy don't understand what you want to achief here.

Regs David

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping question

I am writing a simple script and want to keep the user in a fuction until they are ready to get out. For some (probably stupid) reason, it doesn't seem to be working. You guys see anything that I'm overlooking? crsd() {until do /home/wcs3611.crsdtmp.sh echo 'run another? \c' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedrict
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping question

Hi, I have series of data stored in a variable xyz: (between 0 and 100) example: 20 45 98 21..... I need to find if there is/are any occurance of data > 95 Not sure what kind of looping is required to check. Please help. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping search question

This is my requirement-- I have a list file that contains a list of 50 words. eg word1 word2 word3 I want to search/grep for each of those words in a directory/and subdirectories and list the file in which that word exists. Ne ideas for script/command? I know grep -r <pattern>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested If question

if ]; then if ]; then rm -f ${LOGFILE}.old fi mv ${LOGFILE} ${LOGFILE}.old fi Havent done nested ifs in a while. I'm reading someones code If I'm reading this correctly. It checks for the logfile, and if it exists it checks for the old logfile and if that exists, it removes the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if question BASH

Just started learning bash ,and I am confused with sintaksis line 16: syntax error near unexpected token `else' thanks #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter: " read num if(($(echo ${#num}) == 0 )) then echo No arguments passed.Try again elif rem=$(echo $num | tr -d ) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-sh (not bash) question about nested loops and sed

Here's the input: alpha, numeric or alphanumeric string ("line 1 string") numeric string ("line 2 string") numeric string ("line 3 string") numeric string ("line 4 string") ... where - each numeric string is in a pattern that can be matched with RE but - there can be any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with looping question

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to write a script that accepts 3 filenames as command line parameters and test if they are executable and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tommynewb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax question in regards to nested awk statements

Hello all, I am writing up an input file and I was hoping I could get some guidance as to how to best consolidate these 2 awk statements for 1 while loop. Here's my input file # cat databases.lst #NOTE: These entries are delimited by tabs "\t" #oracleSID name/pass # db11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested looping statements

I cannot get the code below to work correctly. The IF statement works just fine, but not the looping. The inner loop tries to find files for a given vendor; if found, I need to sleep giving another process time to move the files. Once the given vendor's files are gone, then I want to move on to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgreene
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk nested looping?

I am trying to parse a text file and send its output to another file but I am having trouble conceptualizing how I am supposed to do this in awk. The text file has a organization like so: Name Date Status Location (city, state, zip fields) Where each of these is on a separate line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellyanneghj
1 Replies
scandir(3)						     Library Functions Manual							scandir(3)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - Scans or sorts directory contents LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int scandir ( char *dir_name, struct dirent * (*name_list[ ]), int (*select) ( struct dirent *dir ), int (*compare) ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ) ); int alphasort ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ); PARAMETERS
Points to the directory name. Points to the array of pointers to directory entries. Points to a user-supplied function that is called by the scandir() function to select which entries to include in the array. Points to a user-supplied function that sorts the completed array. Points to a dirent structure. Points to a dirent structure. DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory pointed to by the dir_name parameter. It then uses the malloc() function to create an array of pointers to directory entries. The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and, through the name_list parameter, a pointer to the array. The select parameter points to a user-supplied function that the scandir() function calls to select which entries to include in the array. The selection routine is passed a pointer to a directory entry and returns a nonzero value for a directory entry that is included in the array. If the select parameter is a null value, all directory entries are included. The compare parameter points to a user-supplied function that is passed to the qsort() function to sort the completed array. If the compare parameter is a null value, the array is not sorted. The memory allocated to the array can be deallocated by freeing each pointer in the array, and the array itself, with the free() function. The alphasort() function alphabetically compares the two dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 and dir2 parameters. This function can be passed as the compare parameter to either the scandir() function or the qsort() function. A user-supplied subroutine may also be used. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns -1 if the directory cannot be opened for reading or if the malloc() function cannot allocate enough memory to hold all the data structures. If successful, the scandir() function returns the number of entries found. The alphasort() function returns the following values: Less than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexi- cally less than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. 0 (zero): The dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 parameter and the dir2 parameter are equal. Greater than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexically greater than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: malloc(3), opendir(3), qsort(3) delim off scandir(3)