Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix at home
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix at home Post 40787 by cbkihong on Tuesday 23rd of September 2003 11:56:20 AM
Old 09-23-2003
No. You can't use programs that run on our dear Mr. Gate's platform unless you use an emulator like WINE (which is not very usable, most of the time) on some Unix flavours.

First step: partition your HDD. Shrink your HDD Windows partition with anything like partitionmagic to make space for new one.

Second step: Get the installation disks/discs for the Unix flavour you would like to use (most likely some distro of Linux or *BSD). Insert CD Rom/boot disk and reboot. Run install program. Install OS into the new partition.

Third step: Reboot and enjoy.
Smilie

(past forum threads for more about this, and advice on whether Unix is for you)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set up the own Unix ENvironment at home

Hello! All Unix Expert, I just graduated from college with Bachalor degree in Computer Information System, and decided to start my career in Unix System. I am trying to set up my own unix Environment at home so that I can get more hand on experience since the class offered by unix vendors are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jung1975
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need a path to install UNIX on my home PC

I have searched through the FAQ's and other posts on this board but haven't found what I need. I need to help installing UNIX on my home PC, then help on how to use it. I also want to learn how to program in UNIX / C. See? I don't even know any lingo. I am fairly experienced in mainframe... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chutt
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Unix OS

Hiya, guys! I am quite new to the Unix world (and enjoying it). I currently have a unix shell account with cyberspace.org, but I want to have my own little unix system at home. Especially for programming, and maybe setting up acouple of accounts on my computer, so my friends can access from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FryHole
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Comfortable With Unix at Home

I'm new to using unix and i was told that to get a little more comfortable with it and what it entails i should download a VMware virtual server and then downlaod ubuntu. I just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on this and any advice on learning the ropes? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: christophski100
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To practice Unix at home

Hi Everyone, Gud Afternoon. Myself Amol working on unix (vi editor ). I want to practice shell scripts and vi editor command at home. So can anyone guide me, if there is any standalone application or some software like vi editor which can be installed at my home PC and i can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol_Dicholkar
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best UNIX for home server

Hello all, Yes I am a newbie to the programming world and just conquered XML and Javascript, now I need to get my own homeserver. My question is if I wanted to start my own server for FTP, and web hosting which UNIX OS is the best for this purpose, and which is the easiest to a newcomer.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: catalystic37
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX home directories

Hi All, Could someone help, am a complete beginner when it comes to UNIX. However I have been tasked with investigating automatic creation of UK unix home directories. Is someone able to help? Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainster
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix set home directory

Hi I've just made a directory, what command do I use to now make it the base directory? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beckywatson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in Unix home directory

I have many views in my Linux home dir under different folders mentioned below. Home 1. CCVIEWS 2. views 3. Development 4. testproject : : etc. Now i want to list all the clearcase views in my linux dir in below format to work on other script. 1) user_test_Work1.vws ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX script home work

plz can any one help to write the script of the output provided in the pdf. There are 2 tasks A and B. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohdsadik90
5 Replies
envelopes(5)							File Formats Manual						      envelopes(5)

NAME
envelopes - sender/recipient lists attached to messages INTRODUCTION
Electronic mail messages are delivered in envelopes. An envelope lists a sender and one or more recipients. Usually these envelope addresses are the same as the addresses listed in the mes- sage header: (envelope) from djb to root From: djb To: root In more complicated situations, though, the envelope addresses may differ from the header addresses. ENVELOPE EXAMPLES
When a message is delivered to several people at different locations, it is first photocopied and placed into several envelopes: (envelope) from djb to root From: djb Copy #1 of message To: root, god@brl.mil (envelope) from djb to god@brl.mil From: djb Copy #2 of message To: root, god@brl.mil When a message is delivered to several people at the same location, the sender doesn't have to photocopy it. He can instead stuff it into one envelope with several addresses; the recipients will make the photocopy: (envelope) from djb to god@brl.mil, angel@brl.mil From: djb To: god@brl.mil, angel@brl.mil, joe, frde Bounced mail is sent back to the envelope sender address. The bounced mail doesn't list an envelope sender, so bounce loops are impossi- ble: (envelope) from <> to djb From: MAILER-DAEMON To: djb Subject: unknown user frde The recipient of a message may make another copy and forward it in a new envelope: (envelope) from djb to joe From: djb Original message To: joe (envelope) from joe to fred From: djb Forwarded message To: joe A mailing list works almost the same way: (envelope) from djb to sos-list From: djb Original message To: sos-list (envelope) from sos-owner to god@brl.mil From: djb Forwarded message To: sos-list to recipient #1 (envelope) from sos-owner to frde From: djb Forwarded message To: sos-list to recipient #2 Notice that the mailing list is set up to replace the envelope sender with something new, sos-owner. So bounces will come back to sos- owner: (envelope) from <> to sos-owner From: MAILER-DAEMON To: sos-owner Subject: unknown user frde It's a good idea to set up an extra address, sos-owner, like this: the original envelope sender (djb) has no way to fix bad sos-list addresses, and of course bounces must not be sent to sos-list itself. HOW ENVELOPE ADDRESSES ARE STORED
Envelope sender and envelope recipient addresses are transmitted and recorded in several ways. When a user injects mail through qmail-inject, he can supply a Return-Path line or a -f option for the envelope sender; by default the envelope sender is his login name. The envelope recipient addresses can be taken from the command line or from various header fields, depending on the options to qmail-inject. Similar comments apply to sendmail. When a message is transferred from one machine to another through SMTP, the envelope sender is given in a MAIL FROM command, the envelope recipients are given in RCPT TO commands, and the message is supplied separately by a DATA command. When a message is delivered by qmail to a single local recipient, qmail-local records the recipient in Delivered-To and the envelope sender in Return-Path. It uses Delivered-To to detect mail forwarding loops. sendmail normally records the envelope sender in Return-Path. It does not record envelope recipient addresses, on the theory that they are redundant: you received the mail, so you must have been one of the envelope recipients. Note that, if the header doesn't have any recipient addresses, sendmail will move envelope recipient addresses back into the header. This situation occurs if all addresses were originally listed as Bcc, since Bcc is automatically removed. When sendmail sees this, it creates a new Apparently-To header field with the envelope recipient addresses. This has the strange effect that each blind-carbon-copy recipient will see a list of all recipients on the same machine. When a message is stored in mbox format, the envelope sender is recorded at the top of the message as a UUCP-style From (no colon) line. Note that this line is less reliable than the Return-Path line added by qmail-local or sendmail. SEE ALSO
qmail-header(5), qmail-local(8), qmail-inject(8) envelopes(5)